This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 5:28 AM by user8983130 RSS

Data Guard  Vs Golden Gate

user8983130 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have data-guard for disaster recovery and now my management planning to do more like implement Golden gate. My question is when you can protect your data and offload pressure on primary database by maintaining active data-guard why someone need to go for golden gate??

Please share your experience for using Golden Gate over Data guard!!

One more thing, what is meant by when someone using terms standby , dataguard and active dataguard?? Aren't all they same??
  • 1. Re: Data Guard  Vs Golden Gate
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    I have data-guard for disaster recovery and now my management planning to do more like implement Golden gate. My question is when you can protect your data and offload pressure on primary database by maintaining active data-guard why someone need to go for golden gate?? 

Please share your experience for using Golden Gate over Data guard!!
    Refer this http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/dataguardgoldengate-096557.html
    Might be helpful
    One more thing, what is meant by when someone using terms standby , dataguard and active dataguard?? Aren't all they same??
    Active Dataguard is a feature wherein the standby database would be placed in open read-only mode and the recovery (MRP/log applying) would be in progress. This is called as active dataguard and the standby would be in sync with the primary. The standby database when kept in open read-only mode can be used reporting purposes, to run select queries. So, you would be having a feature of using the standby database as a reporting database and in the same time the standby would be applying the logs from the primary. This feature is available only from 11g.

In 10g or prior versions, we did not have any such feature. The standby database, if required to use for reporting purpose, then the standby database will have to be opened in read-only mode, but the recovery (MRP/log applying) cannot be done. So, if you want the standby database to have the log applying done, then it has to placed in MOUNT mode. If it needs to be used for reporting purpose, then it needs to be placed in Open READ-ONLY mode and stop the recovery. You can avail only 1 feature at a time here.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points