This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 7:51 AM by martin1010 RSS

Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users

martin1010 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
For application compatibility, versions of the JRE (6.0 Update 31 and earlier) would register version specific Class IDs for versions of the JRE that were not installed and pointed them to the current version of the JRE. These are registered in the user’s registry under the HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID key. Every time the user launches IE, the JRE would validate these keys exist and are set appropriately.

Newer versions of JRE 6.0 and 7.0 no longer register the previous JRE class IDs when launching IE. It only does this during the install process. This causes an issue for other user accounts on the PC. Corporate PCs typically have software installed with a different account than the one the user logs on with. Web applications that were developed for an earlier version of Java no longer function when this occurs. Its not a compatibility issue with the JRE itself, it just that IE cannot find the object being called in the HTML. This makes the guidance in the following support docs unusable. Unless of course, you happen to be the account that installed the JRE.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/family-clsid-140615.html

This appears to be a bug. Previous functionality is lost. To resolve the issue we have to import the registry keys ourself, recode the applications, or install back level vulnerable versions of JRE.

Please fix this in the next release.
  • 1. Re: Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    CJMartin249 wrote:
    Please fix this in the next release.
    That statement implies you think you're communicating to Oracle when you post to these forums.

You're not.

These are user-to-user forums for programming issues.
    They are not for end user questions, nor are they a path to contact the company for technical support.
  • 2. Re: Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    If you feel there is a defect in the JRE or its installation and you do not have a Support Contract with Oracle, you can report a bug on the following page:

http://bugs.sun.com/

However, be aware that bugs reported through the Oracle Support organization will get a higher priority than those reported outside of Support. Information about accessing Oracle Support or obtaining a Support contract can be found here:

http://www.oracle.com/us/support/index.html
    Michael Ferrante
    Senior Principal Support Engineer
    Oracle Forms Global Technical Lead
    Oracle Corporation
  • 3. Re: Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users
    969397 Newbie
    My apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum to post this, but the comments here describe the exact issues we are experiencing with our SCCM deployments of JRE 1.6.0_37 and JRE 1.7.0_09, the latest releases as of 10/18/2012. Is Oracle any closer to resolving the issue with the CLSIDs not propogating properly to each users profile (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\)? We can, but would rather not have to, tweak the registry by adding the entries ourselves to make it work. All of the keys were propogated correctly, as reported, in versions prior to 1.6.0_32(33).

I found that this was reported here as well, and it mentions that Oracle has "isolated" the issue back in version 1.6.0_33, but it does not appear to be fixed in the latest releases. Unfortunately I can't access or find the documents they mention relating to work arounds.
    https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/jre_1_6_0_33

Thanks,
    -Rob
  • 4. Re: Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users
    EJP Guru
    My apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum to post this
    It isn't, and Michael Ferrante has also indicated where the correct place is. This is not an Oracle support channel of any kind, it is a user to user forum.
  • 5. Re: Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users
    martin1010 Newbie
    I did open a support case with Oracle. Oracle did admit it was a known bug. Howerver, because I don't actually have a support agreement for Java and our other Oracle applications specifically require older versions of Java that are not impacted, the case was closed.
  • 6. Re: Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users
    969397 Newbie
    Thanks CJ, that's what I was looking for in hopes that a case had been opened with them. We are in the same situation...internal apps that no longer work properly and we don't have a support contract that I am aware of either. I'm on the software deployment side of the house, not the development side so getting the code changed in the apps is going to be a monumental task. Appears that submitting this as a 'bug' again will do no good since they are already aware of and admitted the issue. Hopefully Oracle will address this issue in an upcoming release.

In the meantime, I guess it's up to us to work some magic in getting the proper registry keys set.

In our testing, we found that having the "CAFE..." CLSIDs in HKLM and removing them completely from HKCU also seems to work. Problem is that an uninstall doesn't fully remove the keys from each HKCU (unless that user is the one that installs the software, which in our case all users are in least privileged mode, so they cannot install software) and since the keys from 1.6.0_37 aren't propagating to HKCU, the old ones remain and can cause an issue.

Thanks!
    -Rob
  • 7. Re: Newer JREs are not registering old JRE ClassIDs for all users
    martin1010 Newbie
    If you have an Oracle Java support agreement or an effected Oracle application, I would encourage you to open a case. Since its been an issue for a while, it seems it that its not getting a high enough priority.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points