This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2012 6:26 AM by sanikv RSS

Standby sync check - Manual syncing

954573 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I would like to re-confirm what DB views do we need to really check and make sure whether my primary & standby are in sync in a manual standby mode.
Should it be v$log and v$log_history or v$archived_log.

My doubt arises with one of my client current setup.Logs are manually shipped,and later manually recovered i.e not manged recovered process.
Today i did a manual healthcheck and i see there is no rows populated in v$archived_log with APPLIED='YES' on standby.But v$log_history showed me the current log sequence which is the same in primary too.From standby alert log i confirmed the sequence number is same as the value shown in v$log_history.
Oracle manual says,v$archived_log & v$log_history gets the related info from controlfile.
So why didnt v$archived_log didnt populate the same data as v$log_history.Sometimes i see a value far less in v$archvied_log when compared to v$log_history.

Below is my script which does manual recovery .
The archives are just scp'ed and done a manual recover using sql's.

This is the script part.

#---------------------------------------
recover_auto ()
#---------------------------------------
{
echo "\n`date`... Recovering database $ORACLE_SID." >>$LOGFILE
sqlplus -s "/ as sysdba" <<EOF >$TMPFILE
recover standby database ;
auto
exit
EOF

Here is my output.

@primary:
SQL> select THREAD#,max(SEQUENCE#) ,ARCHIVED,APPLIED from V$ARCHIVED_LOG group by THREAD#,ARCHIVED,APPLIED
2 /

THREAD# MAX(SEQUENCE#) ARC APP
---------- -------------- --- ---
1 75883 YES NO

@standby
SQL> select count(*) from V$ARCHIVED_LOG
2 /

COUNT(*)
----------
SQL> select max(SEQUENCE#) from v$log_history
2 /

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
--------------

Does the view v$archived_log & v$log_hisotry behave differently after an restart of the DR(manaul shipping & applying methods) ?

Regards
Sreeraj
  • 1. Re: Standby sync check - Manual syncing
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Run this from the Primary side :

http://www.visi.com/~mseberg/monitor_data_guard_transport.html

Best Regards

mseberg

h2. Sorry

I thought you had a Data Guard question. rsync is NOT part of Data Guard.

Edited by: mseberg on Oct 3, 2012 3:08 PM
  • 2. Re: Standby sync check - Manual syncing
    954573 Newbie
    Hello,

As i have already mentioned the archives are manually shipped using rsync command.There is no a remote location defined on primary.We simply pull the archives from primary and put it into a location on remote. Later recovery script is run which will recover using these archives.
    So your query does not provide enough data.
    Even though i do a manual recovery on standby, those details on sequence should be there in the standby controlfile. Am i right.But if you check my previous note, count from v$archved_log shows zero.

This is were am stuck.

Thanks,

sreeraj
  • 3. Re: Standby sync check - Manual syncing
    saurabh Pro
    The view v$archived_log and v$log_history views are same they give you output from the controlfile. The difference is that v$archived_log will give give you output only if you are in automatic recover mode. This view is useful only if the registrar column in v$archived_log is RFS. Which you will get if your standby is in automatic recovery mode.

In your case you are doing manual recover so that is why it is not giving you any output.
  • 4. Re: Standby sync check - Manual syncing
    sanikv Newbie
    you can compare the SCN's , they can be converted to timestamps and then used to check how far is your standby lagging behind.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points