6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2005 3:52 AM by Learco Brizzi RSS

PPR breaks browser Back button

VANJ
      The new Partial Page Refresh (PPR) feature in 2.0 is nice but it seems to break the browser's Back button.

For example, I am on pages 20-30 in App Builder. I click on the Run Page icon to run the page.

I click the browser Back button.

The App Builder goes back to Pages 1-10 :-(

I realize that since this new PPR style of pagination uses AJAX so it does neither a GET nor a POST, it does stuff under the covers, of which the browser is totally unaware.

But maybe the PPR Javascript can inject the URLs into the browser's history stream or something?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: PPR breaks browser Back button
          Hello,

I wouldn't say it break's the back button it it just doesn't support it. Do you know of some AJAX that does support the back and forward buttons? And this is the important part 'GENERICLY' across the whole implimentation.

I have seen some implimentations that insert a hash value into the history that the browser is able to figure out forward and back buttons but making them generic with whatever the user might throw at them is a bit tougher.

Anyway supporting the forward and back buttons with the AJAX pagination or sorting will not be included in what ships with HTML DB 2.0 but I'll see if I can create a better solution in next couple weeks for HTML DB Studio.

Carl
          • 2. Re: PPR breaks browser Back button
            VANJ
            Anyway supporting the forward and back buttons with
            the AJAX pagination or sorting will not be included
            in what ships with HTML DB 2.0
            Well, seeing as how the PPR/AJAX pagination style is not even available as one of the options on the Report Attributes page, I think the question is moot!

Speaking of which, is there a way to use that style of pagination in our own applications?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: PPR breaks browser Back button
              Hello,

It's not an attribute of a report (long story) but it will be in the next version.

Every shipping theme in HTML DB 2.0 has a AJAX/PPR enabled report template that gives you AJAX sorting and pagination.

It's looks like the standard report template of that theme. All you have to do is import it into your application and then switch template or replace templates.

Carl

Message was edited by:
              cbackstr
              • 4. Re: PPR breaks browser Back button
                VANJ
                This is actually quite irritating.

Say my app has 50 pages. I want to work on Pages 47,48,49

I navigate to row(s) 46 - 50 of 50.

I click on Page 47 to edit it, I make my changes, I run it, I am happy.

Now I click on Application nnnnn on the Breadcrumb menu on the top.

Guess what? I am back to row(s) 1 - 15 of 50

I have to paginate all the way back to my desired page again and repeat the cycle.

In Version 1.6, the App Builder main page (4000:1) "remembered" which set of rows it was showing. Here, with PPR, every page view results in a implicit "reset pagination" :-(

It would be really nice if this pagination style for the App Builder is a user preference, some users might like the current way, others like me might like the old way.

Thanks
                • 5. Re: PPR breaks browser Back button
                  Hello,

I'm sure we can do something like that in next version when PPR becomes just a report attribute and not a specific template, more likely we will have a way to make the PPR
                  remember where you are at.

Most likly will have both of those functionalites.

Carl

Message was edited by:
                  cbackstr
                  • 6. Re: PPR breaks browser Back button
                    Learco Brizzi
                    Hi Carl,

I searched, but where are these PPR theme's or how do I recognize these themes?

Learco