1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 11:35 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: oracle  recovery
        jgarry
        If you use the old control files, you will have to recover until cancel using backup controlfile (or some such syntax, I'm rusty), in order to tell Oracle to recover beyond that backup. If you use the latest controlfile from when shut down, you should be able to just recover database. But you need to test, there are examples all over the intertubes, many of which are wrong, and I sure wouldn't blindly trust anything read here.
        • 16. Re: oracle  recovery
          JohnWatson
          Does this mean that you are restoring the datafiles to a different mount point? If so, you'll have to mount the controlfile (the current controlfile!) and issue a series of ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE commands to tell the the controlfile where they are. Then RECOVER DATABASE.
          • 17. Re: oracle  recovery
            No, I'll keep the same mount point, but I should use RECOVER DATABASE or RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL.... ?
            • 18. Re: oracle  recovery
              JohnWatson
              RECOVER DATABASE. Complete recovery, no lost data, no need to open resetlogs.
              • 19. Re: oracle  recovery
                Thanks! I'll try it, but if I use the old control files, what happen?
                • 20. Re: oracle  recovery
                  Mark Malakanov (user11181920)
                  you will have to
                  recover database using backup controlfile
                  open database with resetlogs
                  • 21. Re: oracle  recovery
                    jgarry
                    853883 wrote:
                    No, I'll keep the same mount point, but I should use RECOVER DATABASE or RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL.... ?
                    Something smells funny here... didn't you say you were moving the db to another place?
                    • 22. Re: oracle  recovery
                      Yes, the volumes are export via NFS, I rename the export volume as the original after the showdown and unmount old volumes...
                      • 23. Re: oracle  recovery
                        jgarry
                        Oh, the old switcheroo. That smells much better.
                        • 24. Re: oracle  recovery
                          user11181920 wrote:
                          you will have to
                          recover database using backup controlfile
                          open database with resetlogs
                          what does changes in this way? what are the difference between recovery whith old control file and recovery current control file?
                          • 25. Re: oracle  recovery
                            jgarry
                            If you do a complete recovery, then you can open the database and go on your merry way. If you do an incomplete recovery, you have to do a resetlogs, which creates a new incarnation of the database. This also used to mean all your old backups were worthless, but nowadays there are ways to recover across incarnations. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/glossary.htm#sthref920 But of course, most of the docs assume RMAN: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/flashptr006.htm#sthref674

A good rule of thumb, anyways, is to avoid resetlogs if you can. Another rule of thumb is to have test databases set up so you can practice recoveries before you need them. Even a tiny db on a pc is useful for practicing.
                            1 2 Previous Next