This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2012 1:19 PM by PrashantDixit RSS

ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Synchronization Service-localconfig

PrashantDixit Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Today while creating a new ASM for DEV testing purposes on this newly built machine i failed to locate the 'localconfig' file under $ORACLE_HOME/bin which ultimately lead to this error message during ASM instance startup.
Discovered that 'localconfig' is missing or is somehow not created under $ORACLE_HOME/bin

[oracle@localhost bin]$ pwd
/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin
[root@localhost bin]# localconfig add
-bash: localconfig: command not found

[oracle@localhost bin]$ ls -ltr localc
ls: localc: No such file or directory

And when tried same on another machine (10g r1) it ran successfully:

[root@localhost bin]# localconfig add
/etc/oracle does not exist. Creating it now.
Successfully accumulated necessary OCR keys.
Creating OCR keys for user 'root', privgrp 'root'..
Operation successful.
Configuration for local CSS has been initialized

Adding to inittab
Startup will be queued to init within 90 seconds.
Checking the status of new Oracle init process...
Expecting the CRS daemons to be up within 600 seconds.
CSS is active on these nodes.
localhost
CSS is active on all nodes.
Oracle CSS service is installed and running under init(1M)

I tried to ignore the step but received given error code when tried to start-up the ASM instance.

SQL> startup
ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Synchronization Service

Details:
SQL> select banner from v$version;

BANNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
CORE 11.2.0.1.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> !uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.32-300.32.3.el5uek #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 10:39:12 PDT 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Oracle Enterprise Linux 5

This is a non-Prod machine and used for testing purposes and in place for development parties.
I will highly appreciate if someone please step ahead and help me fixing this issue.

Thanks
Prashant Dixit
  • 1. Re: ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Synchronization Service-localconfig
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    It's a Cluster?

From 11.2 and above ASM feature is not part of Oracle RDBMS installation. ASM feature is part of Grid Infrastructure Installation.
    Oracle Restart for standalone env - option Grid Infrastructure for a Standalone.
    Oracle Clusterware for a Clustered env - option Grid Infrastructure for a Cluster.

If you plan to use Oracle Restart or Oracle Automatic Storage Management (Oracle ASM), then you must install Oracle Grid Infrastructure before you install and create the database. Oracle Grid Infrastructure for a standalone server is the software that includes Oracle Restart and Oracle ASM. Oracle combines the two infrastructure products into a single set of binaries that is installed as the Oracle Grid Infrastructure home.

From your OP I think you are using ASM on Standalone host. So, you should be using Grid Infrastructure for Standalone Server ( Oracle Restart).

No more "localconfig"
    From 11gR2, you won’t see localconfig file anymore in Oracle Home of Grid Installation.Oracle 11gR2 introduced OHASD (Oracle High Availability Service Daemon) which gets created,at the end of the installation by running root.sh.This OHASD has ora.cssd service which is the CSS service used for synchronization between ASM instance and DB.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/oraclerestart.htm#CIHGFBCJ

At end of your installation OLR is backed up on " $GRID_HOME/cdata/localhost/" if you lost your OLR you should recover then.

Oracle Restart: how do you manage, create and remove OLR Backups [ID 1273928.1]

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Oct 2, 2012 1:41 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points