This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2012 5:47 AM by sanikv RSS

Adding new node to existing Oracle10gR2 3 node Primry & 3 node SB RAC setup

user10314746 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have required to add new node to existing Oracle 10.2.0.4 RAC 3 node Primary & 3 node Standby DB setup. New node needs to be added to both the environments i.e. Primary & Standby.

What would be the best approach to carry out the same. If some link/document is there kindly point out the same.

Thanks,
NS
  • 1. Re: Adding new node to existing Oracle10gR2 3 node Primry & 3 node SB RAC setup
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi NS,

I fear there is no setup guides applicable for your szenario.

However there are some documents, which gives you a very good impression on what to do:

For how to extend nodes (especially on primary):
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/rac.102/b14197/adddelunix.htm#CIHJCDHB

But this also accounts for standby (except the instance management part, this is not applicable). To get an idea on what to do (srvctl commands) see here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/maa-wp-10g-racprimaryracphysicalsta-131940.pdf

Regards

Sebastian
  • 2. Re: Adding new node to existing Oracle10gR2 3 node Primry & 3 node SB RAC setup
    sanikv Newbie
    the procedure of adding a node should be same on primary and secondary clusters except for the part that add the instance/thread to the existing cluster database. I would have just created a new standby controlfile from the primary after adding the instance/thread and copy it over to the standby.

its a pretty straight forward process.

1) Prepare your new nodes ( As you prepare your RAC nodes for the new installation, include running cluvfy etc.)
    2) Run add_node.sh for clusterware
    3) Run add_node.sh for Rdbms
    4) Add the new instance/thread to the cluster database. ( be sure to add the new database instance to CRS if you are not using DBCA to add the instance)

you may run into errors during the execution of add_node.sh, but there is much info in google about those errors :)
    Also, be sure that you remove passwords for your ssh key files if you have set any, ssh-agents doesnt work for node adds.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points