This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 6:46 AM by Shivananda Rao RSS

DGMGRL In Dataguard

963405 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have two question regarding dataguard.

1) If One archivelog is missing from Primary Database without Applying in Standby Database, then what will happen?
2) What is DGMGRL?

Thanks...
Asit

Edited by: asitkmohanty on 04-Oct-2012 05:49
  • 1. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    952768 Journeyer
    Is this a quiz?

1) what do you mean with missing?
    2) Dataguard broker

Please read or buy a book about DataGuard
  • 2. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    Fran Guru
    1) If archivelog doesn't exist in primary database never can be move to standby
    2) http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28295/dgmgrl.htm
  • 3. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    1) If archivelog is missing from Primary Database without Applying in Standby Database, then what will happen?
    It is obvious that the standby database would go out of sync. If the archivelog is missing and you have the backup of it, then use this backup and restore and recover it on the standby, so that it would be in sync.

If you do not have the archive and you do not have the backup of the missed archive, they you'll have to use roll forward method to get your standby in sync. For this take a look at http://shivanandarao.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/roll-forward-physical-standby-database-using-rman-incremental-backup/
    2) What is DGMGRL?
    DGMGRL is an utility that is used to monitor the standby databases. For this refer
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28295/dgmgrl.htm
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28295/concepts.htm
  • 4. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    1- How you can you take something not exists . you have solve it by restore from old backup .

2- manage a Data Guard configuration and its site and database resource objects directly from the command line.
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96629/dgmgrl.htm
  • 5. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    963405 Newbie
    Hi specdev,

If everybody go and buy book then why this forum is needed... People who posting their question here should go n buy book. And one more thing nobody knows everything from his/her mother's womb... I am regularly watching people are posting more silly question from this. Mr specdev. If u dont want to ans the question then dont. Please dont post these type of answer.
  • 6. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    Fran Guru
    Hi specdev,

If everybody go and buy book then why this forum is needed... People who posting there question here should go n buy book. And one more thing nobody knows everything from his/her mother's womb... I am regularly watching people are posting more silly question this. Mr. If u dont want to ans the question then dont. Please dont post these type of answer.
    in favor of specdev i will tell that if noone read books, this forums never exists. Probably you won't understand everything you read in the book, so you can/must question it. And this forums exists for thas purpose.
    The volunteers who answer this forum, usually answer documented questions or questions answered before on that forum or google.
    first people must read, later question. NEVER question first. When question, all the details you can afford, better answer will be.
  • 7. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    952768 Journeyer
    I do not agree. Some basic skills are needed when you are working as a professional with Oracle.
    And when you start reading the Dataguard Documentation provided by Oracle, you never had asked about question 2.

Definition of Forum: 'A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts'
  • 8. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    963405 Newbie
    Hi,

Read the first question again if possible then give the answer.

Thanks...
    Asit
  • 9. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    i totally disagree with you about that , This created by oracle for people who want to learn something new , this is not mean to solve everything for them , reading book sis different thing if you don't wanna read then its your problem with time you be ignorant , If you just search on google about you question you will find lot of document describe your question in details , But you need fast answer which is not good , and i am saying again we all here sharing our knowledge , people who answered you may some of them in work , or with their family but over all they choose to help you.

So please be appreciate for help you get here .
  • 10. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    952768 Journeyer
    Most of the time I will ignore it but for example Re: Datapumb exporting

Sometimes it is needed to let people look into the mirror......
  • 11. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    Fran Guru
    answering your first question (you will have a gap in standby):
    Depends if you have or haven't a backup with archivelog, you can resolve it:

1) Restore the missing archive from backup on the primary server.
    2) Rebuild the standby database.
    3) Resync the standby database using an incremental RMAN backup from the primary database. This does not require a full rebuild of the standby database and can be a lot more efficient.
  • 12. Re: DGMGRL In Dataguard
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    asitkmohanty wrote:
    Hi,

Read the first question again if possible then give the answer.

Thanks...
    Asit
    Always before posting, search for the documentation, google it, if still you are unable to catch the point or facing any issues, then try asking in the OTN.
    We expect efforts from your end.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points