This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 6:05 AM by aksarben RSS

Arrays and Methods

962826 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
The task is to write program to enter ten numbers, store them in an array, and then use two methods - aprint to print out the array in its entirity to the user and min to determine what the lowest element was and which number it was input as. I was able to write the program to perform correctly, but without using methods. I am haveing a hard time grasping the method idea. Here is my java file without using methods.
public class ArraysMethods {
  public static void main (String[] args) {

//Enter ten numbers
       Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in);
       System.out.println("Please enter ten different numbers, separated by spaces: ");

//Create an array
       double[] myList = new double[10];

//Store them in array
       for (int i = 0; i < myList.length; i++){            
            myList[i] = input.nextDouble();

}

//Find the smallest number and index of that number
       double min = myList[0];
       int indexOfMin = 0;
              for (int i = 1; i < myList.length; i++) {
            if (myList[i] < min){
                 min = myList;
               indexOfMin = i;
          }
     }

//Display the results
     System.out.println("The smallest number entered is " + min + " and it was entered as input #" + (indexOfMin + 1) +".");
     System.out.println("The array in its entirity is: ");
          System.out.println(myList[i] + " ");
     }

input.close();
}     
}
And here is where I am going trying just to do the aprint method first. I know this is wrong, but I am having a hard time grasping the relationship between these, even after several readings.
import java.util.Scanner;

//Enter ten numbers
     System.out.println("Please enter ten different numbers, separated by spaces: ");

//Create an array

//Store them in array

}

//Call the aprint method
     System.out.println("The method in its entirity is ");
     aprint(myList[i]);

//write the aprint method
     public static void aprint(){
     for (int i = 0; i < myList.length; i++)
     }

}
}
Errors I am getting:

(when I call the aprint method):
Multiple markers at this line
     - i cannot be resolved to a variable
     - The method aprint(double) is undefined for the type 
      ArraysMethods

(when I write the aprint method):
Multiple markers at this line
     - Syntax error, insert "EnumBody" to complete BlockStatement
     - Syntax error, insert "enum Identifier" to complete 
      EnumHeaderName
     - Syntax error on token "void", @ expected

I just am not sure how to transition this into methods. Any help?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
  • 1. Re: Arrays and Methods
    rp0428 Guru
           aprint(myList);

You are calling the method using 'myList' and 'i' is not defined. You need to pass the entire array to the method.

Except that your method declaration does not have an array parameter. You need to add a parameter to the method and then use the parameter within the method.
  • 2. Re: Arrays and Methods
    962826 Newbie
    rp0428 wrote:
           aprint(myList);

You are calling the method using 'myList' and 'i' is not defined. You need to pass the entire array to the method.

Except that your method declaration does not have an array parameter. You need to add a parameter to the method and then use the parameter within the method.
    Ok - so a couple more questions then to help me understand. Here is my updated code:
    import java.util.Scanner;

//Enter ten numbers

//Create an array

//Store them in array

}

//Call the aprint method

public static double aprint(double[] myList){
         }

}
    }
    I believe I worte the aprint method successfully. Now I am having problems calling it. I added the parameters to the method (double[] myList) - correct? So how do I call it?

Edited by: restless8052 on Oct 4, 2012 10:41 AM                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  • 3. Re: Arrays and Methods
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    I believe I worte the aprint method successfully. Now I am having problems calling it. I added the parameters to the method (double[] myList) - correct? So how do I call it?
    >
    Not quite - the aprint method should not return anything; use void like you did before.

You call it the same way you called it before but pass the entire array.
  • 4. Re: Arrays and Methods
    962826 Newbie
    I am not sure what you mean by pass the entire array.

This is how I called it before, paired with the new method for aprint:
    //Call the aprint method
           aprint(myList);
    }

public static void aprint(double[] myList){
         }
    Thanks for your help and patience - still learning obviously.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  • 5. Re: Arrays and Methods
    DrClap Expert
    restless8052 wrote:
    I am not sure what you mean by pass the entire array.
    aprint(myList);
  • 6. Re: Arrays and Methods
    962826 Newbie
    That worked - thanks. Ok now to tackle the second part - finding the minimum and declaring the index of that number. I will repost if I have issues with that! Thanks!
  • 7. Re: Arrays and Methods
    aksarben Journeyer
    Try Googling some key terms such as Java min max & array. That should give you some good ideas & examples.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points