This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2012 6:48 PM by pnosko RSS

Oracle Linux version recommendation

pnosko Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all. I want to install Oracle11gR2 EE on a Linux VM. I've tried the Developer Days appliance, but it doesn't meet my needs.

I want to give Oracle Linux a try. What is the latest version I should try, and should I use 32 or 64 bit? FWIW, I'll be using VirtualBox on a Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.8 with 2 quad core 3GHz Xeons and plenty of memory.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    Avi Miller Guru
    pnosko wrote:
    Hi all. I want to install Oracle11gR2 EE on a Linux VM. I've tried the Developer Days appliance, but it doesn't meet my needs.
    Why doesn't it meet your needs?
    I want to give Oracle Linux a try. What is the latest version I should try, and should I use 32 or 64 bit? FWIW, I'll be using VirtualBox on a Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.8 with 2 quad core 3GHz Xeons and plenty of memory.
    64-bit OL5U8 if you don't have Oracle Support, as the version of Oracle Database 11gR2 available for download from OTN (11.2.0.2) isn't certified on OL6. If you have Oracle Support, grab OL6U3 and download Oracle Database 11.2.0.3.2 (or higher) from My Oracle Support.
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    pnosko Newbie
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Why doesn't it meet your needs?
    Other than the database, it has too much of what I don't need and not what I want; OWB and perhaps ODI. I feel it would be more work to reconfigure it than starting from scratch.
    64-bit OL5U8 if you don't have Oracle Support, as the version of Oracle Database 11gR2 available for download from OTN (11.2.0.2) isn't certified on OL6. If you have Oracle Support, grab OL6U3 and download Oracle Database 11.2.0.3.2 (or higher) from My Oracle Support.
    I don't have support; this is for educational purposes. Are the even-numbered Oracle Linux releases considered unstable or do they not follow that convention?

I wish I could get at least 11.2.0.2, but don't have hardware that runs zLinux64.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    Avi Miller Guru
    pnosko wrote:
    I don't have support; this is for educational purposes. Are the even-numbered Oracle Linux releases considered unstable or do they not follow that convention?
    No, they do not. Oracle Linux 5 is just the previous version of Oracle Linux and is completely stable. Has been for many years. :)
    I wish I could get at least 11.2.0.2, but don't have hardware that runs zLinux64.
    I would suspect not, given that zLinux64 only runs on IBM zSeries mainframes. :)
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    pnosko Newbie
    I didn't mean the major version (5), but the minor (.8). I thought for Linux, the even dot-number releases were unstable the the odd dot-number were stable. Is this no longer true?
  • 5. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    Dude! Guru
    Every release version of Oracle Linux and Oracle database is supposed to be stable. The Linux kernel and some open-source projects used even and odd versions to mark stable and unstable, but that is no longer the case for Linux since the release of the 2.6 kernel in 2004. It does not apply to Oracle Linux 5.x and 6.x

To describe what you should do and how to proceed is just too much information to ask for. But in a big nutshell:

You have to switch the Mac OS X kernel to native 64-bit mode in order to assign more than 3 GB of RAM to a Virtual Machine. Newer Mac's running Lion (10.7) boot into 64-bit mode by default. To boot into 64-bit on older machines you can press the keys "64" during startup, or install the free "sixtyfourswitcher 1.3" control panel. If you do not have any 3rd party drivers (kernel extensions) you should have no trouble in 64-bit kernel mode. There is no need regardless, to install any 32-bit software.

Installing Oracle Linux under Virtualbox is a piece of cake. Check the Virtualbox documentation to choose the right network adapter. Bridged mode will be the most straight forward. Just use the defaults and add virtual hard disks or network adapters as you need.

You can use Oracle Linux 6.3. If you want a Graphical Desktop, select the "Cusomize Now" ratio button when prompted and choose the Desktop Packages. After you installed the OS, simply run "yum install oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall" and "passwd oracle" and you are ready to install the Oracle database.

You can install Oracle 11g 11.2.0.1 and it will work, but if you need Grid Infrastructure to test Oracle ASM including ACFS support, then you need to 11.2.0.3. To start the Oracle 11g installer GUI, simply open the Terminal app on your Mac and type "ssh -X oracle@ip_address". Do not set any DISPLAY variable.
  • 6. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    pnosko Newbie
    Dude, many thanks for answering questions I didn't want to ask in this forum. ;)
    To start the Oracle 11g installer GUI, simply open the Terminal app on your Mac and type "ssh -X oracle@ip_address". Do not set any DISPLAY variable.
    Does the Oracle installer not need a GUI mode? If I can install the database this way, then I may actually create two VMs, one for the database as a "database server" install w/o a GUI and a separate "Desktop" install to run the OWB and ODI clients.

My only hurdle would be adding new logical volumes to LVM at the command line if/when that need arises. While my sysadmin days were in the last century, I should be able to figure that out. :P
  • 7. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    Dude! Guru
    The Oracle installer is a Java application that requires a X Window Server to display the GUI. When you use ssh with -X forwarding you are using the X Server on your Mac to dispaly the GUI and don't need X Windows on the Linux system. Mac OSX provides the X11 server as a standalone application, which is integrated with the Terminal application since 10.6.
  • 8. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    pnosko Newbie
    I didn't even notice the X11 icon on my dock! I get a Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0". error in my terminal window when I opened gedit and firefox, but it didn't seem to affect their operation. I googled that and someone suggested that x11 has to be installed on the remote server. Is that so, or will this work on a Basic Server (I don't have one handy to test this).

I'm also confused by localhost:10.0 since my internal network is not a 10.0.x range.

Edited by: pnosko on Oct 4, 2012 10:09 PM
  • 9. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    Dude! Guru
    X Windows does not work like Microsoft Windows. X Windows is client/server architecture and server and client do not necessarily have to run on the same machine. It is not remote desktop sharing, which is different. Localhost 10.0 is normal with ssh X forwarding. While the X client, e.g. firefox will run in the context of the Linux server, the GUI is happening on the X11 server on your Mac. SSH -X automatically forwards and tunnels the DISPLAY traffic to your Mac so on the Linux side you can simply use localhost and it will appear on your Mac. If I remember correctly, RANDR has something to do with graphic acceleration, which affected X11 under Tiger (10.4). Did you replace X11 with an old version?

Edited by: Dude on Oct 5, 2012 3:19 AM
  • 10. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    pnosko Newbie
    Did you replace X11 with an old version?
    No. I just created a fresh 6.3 "database server" and added the 11gr2 preinstall as you suggested (and gedit). Also did a "yum update". From both a 10.6.8 Mac Pro and a 10.7.5 Mac Mini, I am able to run gedit and it works (although once 6.3 core dumped), but there's a ton of complaints in the ssh session.

Thanks again for all your help. This remaining issues are not a big deal, and out of the scope of this thread.
  • 11. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    Dude! Guru
    I meant to ask if you replaced X11 on your Mac with an older version, e.g. from Tiger (10.4), which is known to have the RANDR problem.

I'm using Virtualbox and ssh X11 forwarding on Mac Terminal app under 10.6 and 10.7 with various versions of Oracle Linux all the time and never had any core dumps or complains in the ssh sessions. I suggest you verify the version of X11 installed on your Mac, which should be 2.3.6 under OSX 10.6.8.
  • 12. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    pnosko Newbie
    I understand and my "no" was to that. I have not messed with X11 since doing a clean install of 10.6 from a DVD (instead of upgrading 10.5). My X11.app About dialog says it is: XQuartz 2.3.6 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple56). I'll reinstall it to see if that helps, but I get the exact same issues on the 10.7 Mac Mini. on which I did a clean install from a DVD.
  • 13. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    pnosko Newbie
    I reinstalled just X11 from the Optional Installs, then it advised me to download and install the latest Mac OS X Combo update, which I did. Nothing has changed. When I start gedit, I get the following (the second line, 33 times). gedit seems to work just fine.
    Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: /bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally without any error message)
  • 14. Re: Oracle Linux version recommendation
    Dude! Guru
    I don't know the reason, but since gedit is a Gnome application I think the problem is because you are missing some gnome related packages.

For instance: starting Firefox in a ssh -X session. Although Firefox works, but you will see a bunch of "noise" in your ssh console.

<pre>
    [root@vm003 ~]# firefox
    Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to
    enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
    http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to
    session: /bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally without any error message)
    </pre>

Some X11 applications apparently take advantage of specific features found in the appropriate desktop environment they were designed for. I'm not sure if this is true for everything, but I suggest the messages are benign and won't affect the way the X11 client application works.

In order to fix the Gconf error, it is sufficient to install dbus-x11 and dependent packages:

<pre>
    yum install dbus-x11
    </pre>

Alternatively, install a standard Gnome Desktop. It may not be the best option for a Linux speedcar, but the advantages may outweigh the disadvantages in your case.

<pre>
    # yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop "General Purpose Desktop" \
    "Graphical Administration Tools" "Legacy X Window System compatibility"
    #
    # sed -i 's|id:3:initdefault:|id:5:initdefault:|g' /etc/inittab
    # shutdown -r now
    </pre>

Edited by: Dude on Oct 6, 2012 1:54 PM
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points