6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 10:19 AM by sabdelhalim RSS

Logserver output and report generation

Hi All,

I am trying to view the daily reports in merchandising workbench.

Following are the steps which I followed:
      - Checked the checkboxe for daily reports in Merchandising workbench -> Application Settings -> Report generation
      - Copying the logserver output files from ./logs/logserver_output to ./reports/input.
      - Running DailyReportGenerator component from Merchandising workbench -> EAC Administration -> Admin Console

After these steps, I am able to view the reports.

But my question is that do we have to copy the logserver output files to input folder of reports everytime or does this automatically copy when DailyReportGenerator runs?
      Also when does DailyReportGenerator runs? Does it run after every baseline we run or does it run once in a day automatically or do we have to run this manually from EAC admin console.

Can somebody provide a clear insight of the whole process of integrating log server files with report generation?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
      Japneet
        • 1. Re: Logserver output and report generation
          SunilN
          Hi Japneet,

There is no need to copy the logserver output file to input folder every time. The report generator tool automatically copy the logserver out file on input directory.
          The DailyReportGenerator runs once in day, and it will show one day back report.

Thanks,
          SunilN
          • 2. Re: Logserver output and report generation
            Hi Sunil,

When I try to run DailyReportGenerator from EAC Admin Console -> Hosts, the script fails.
            But when I run DailyReports script from EAC Admin Console -> Scripts, it successfully copies the logs from logserver output folder to reports input folder and generates the reports.

I am not able to figure out the reason of failure in the former case.

Regards,
            Japneet
            • 3. Re: Logserver output and report generation
              sabdelhalim
              Hello both of you,

here is a link to an official Oracle document (which helped us understanding logserver and report generation setting up)
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29585_01/PlatformServices.61x/LogServerReportGen.pdf

the report gen runs once a day, and you can see what it does allong with understanding logserver behaviour while looking up within your appconfig.xml (we had error issues as the first thing the report gen does ....is recycling logs ...:0)

hope that helps

regards
              Saleh
              • 4. Re: Logserver output and report generation
                Michael Peel-Oracle
                If you run the DailyReportGenerator on its own and there is no data in the input directory (which by default there won't be), then it will fail. The DailyReports script is the process you are intended to run, as it copies the data to the input directory, then invokes the DailyReportGenerator, then pushes the output report to Workbench. Have a look at the script itself in ./config/script/AppConfig.xml for further information.

Michael
                • 5. Re: Logserver output and report generation
                  Hi Saleh/Micheal/Sunil,

I am getting the following error when the DailyReports runs automatically:

[10.04.12 00:10:15] INFO: Checking definition from AppConfig.xml against existing EAC provisioning.
                  [10.04.12 00:10:17] INFO: Updating provisioning for component DailyReportGenerator'.
                  [10.04.12 00:10:17] INFO: Updating definition for component 'DailylReportGenerator'.
                  [10.04.12 00:10:17] INFO: Definition updated.
                  ccurred while executing line 11 of valid BeanShell script:
                  [[

8|
                  9| // roll the logserver, if the report requires the active log file
                  10| if (LogServer.isActive() && LogServer.yesterdayIncludesLatestLogFile()) {
                  11| LogServer.callLogserverRollUrl();
                  12| }
                  13|
                  14| // retrieve required log files for processing

]]

[10.04.12 00:10:20] SEVERE: Caught an exception while invoking method 'run' on object 'DailyReports'. Releasing locks.

Caused by java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
                  sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl invoke0 - null
                  Caused by com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.exception.AppControlException
                  com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.script.Script runBeanShellScript - Error executing valid BeanShell script.
                  Caused by com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.exception.EacComponentControlException
                  com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.utility.Utility run - Utility 'wget_http-127-0-0-1-17002-roll' failed. Refer to utility logs in [ENDECA_CONF]/logs/shell on host ITLHost.

[10.04.12 00:10:20] INFO: Released lock 'report_generator_lock'.

When I checked, wget_http-127-0-0-1-17002-roll.log file, it stated that wget utility is not present in bin folder:
                  */bin/sh: /opt/endeca/PlatformServices/6.1.1/bin/wget: No such file or directory*.

So I checked bin folder, wget utility was missing.

But when I ran DailyScripts manually, it ran successfully. I am bit confused in the working of script.(In this case also, wget was missing)

Regards,
                  Japneet
                  • 6. Re: Logserver output and report generation
                    sabdelhalim
                    Hi,
                    Did the DailyReportGen run successfully or did it fail again yesterday ?
                    I guess your LogServer is hosted on your ITL (and listens on port 15010) ?
                    did you try running weeklyreports ??
                    regards
                    Saleh