This discussion is archived
1 2 3 13 Previous Next 182 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 5:40 AM by rukbat RSS

JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???

Tobi Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Besides wonderful demos on JavaOne 2012 I'was wondering one big thing: Where are the news from JavaOne about JavaFX (embedded) running on iOS (ready to AppStore), Android and Windows 8 metro????
  • 1. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    MiPa Pro
    I'd also be interested in an answer to that topic.
  • 2. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    966614 Newbie
    I saw a presentation at JavaOne that included information on how to bundle your Java/JavaFX app for the Apple store, so that's doable today.

As far as Android/iOS support, I spoke with a couple of Oracle people informally (and verified if they would not have a problem with me sharing what was said to me by them), and they say they have the JRE and JavaFX running on both devices/OSs in the labs, but the management has not made a decision yet if they want to go down that route or not. Worries about eating into their other profit centers (ADF, etc.), and if there was truly any real (vs. just talking about it) demand for iOS/Android support.

So I'd suggest making your voices heard to Oracle, if you think being able to write a JavaFX app on Windows, Mac, Linux, micro-hardware, AND iOS / Android, would be a good thing or not. Personally, I think that would be a game changer and a no-brainer.
  • 3. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    James_D Guru
    To me, simply being able to use Java to code for iOS would be a game changer, never mind being able to use the same code to run on a variety of other platforms. I work part time for a training company and the iOS course is very popular, so there is a lot of corporate interest in writing iOS apps. There are millions of Java programers out there who really don't want to have to learn objective C. I can't imagine this would be anything other than a good thing for Oracle.
  • 4. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    Thanks Adrian for that information! Another guy who spoke with people from Oracle told us via twitter that's not a technical and not a political problem! But what you say ("management has not deciced yet...") sounds like a political problem. I can't believe that Oracle does not believe in a developer demand for iOS and android support?!

Yeeees, many many developer are looking for a good(!) technology to develop crossplatform mobile applications for phones and tablets. currently there is no really good technology. As a developer you have to decide to choose the native way - so you have to develop 3 times the same app for iOS, android and windows 8 -/ metro, or choose the HTML5 way. Web apps written in HTML(5), javascript and CSS are good for small and simple things. But the main problem with web apps is the really poor rendering performance, especially of Android devices! Developing web apps with HTML frameworks like JQuery Mobile, Sencha Touch, Phonegab/Cordova and so on doesn't make much fun. It's really a hard and time consuming job to develop native looking apps with HTML5 which works performant too...

So what we really really need is a real crossplatform technology like Java and JavaFX! JavaFX for iOS, Android and Metro would be a killer technology! Java (Swing) is not really often used to develop main stream applications...Anybody know a popular application like Photoshop, Word, Firefox, Angry Bird, Evernote, ... written in Java Swing??? No, Java is only used for business applications and server code (J2EE).

So if Oracle invests many dollers in pushing JavaFX as the new platform for modern user interfaces, the most important thing - IMO - is to support modern operation systems like iOS, Android and Metro. There are so many young developers who developing innovativ apps for the iPhone - all these developers are Oracle clients of the future if they would use Java(FX)! The Java language is simple and JavaFX uses modern technologies like CSS and XML - technologies which are known by young developers.

So Oracle, please show us your stuff from your labs, publish Java embedded for iOS, Android and Metro.

The most important thing for me concerning JavaOne 2012 was any anncounement of "JavaFX on iOS, ....". But I was really disappointed to hear no single word of this topic...

So Oracle please speak to your developers and clients, speak with us and stop this annoying secretiveness...

Best regards,
    Tobi

Edited by: Tobi on 07.10.2012 00:20
  • 5. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    594176 Newbie
    I agree 100%
  • 6. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    893126 Newbie
    I agree 100% too
  • 7. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    966675 Newbie
    Absolutely must have Java on iOS and Android. MUST HAVE!

Java provided many great things such as Internet development. The most important part of Java for thousands of developers is WORA. Is WORA dead just because Steve Jobs and Eric Schmidt say so? If so, then Java will die too.

I have created a unique service using WORA Java on both client and server. WORA is not so important for the server, but is crucial for the client. It does use Swing because we just haven't had the time to convert to JavaFX yet. The first version was written in Java 1.0 and has gone from AWT to Swing. JavaFX is next!

My service delivers real online hands-on science lab experience using interactive data collection from real experiments. The client side must be very sophisticated. The education marketplace is demanding iPad (in the U.S.) and Android (worldwide) support. We will not create three separate sets of code, even of UI code. That would put us out of business due to the high maintenance costs.

This is a highly regarded service having received the SIIA award as one of the six most innovative ed tech products this year.

Oracle -- read this and act for all of us. Java on the client side is not dead. Applets may be fading, but applications via JWS are very much alive and flourishing. For any client code that's not trivial, Java is the best solution ever invented.

When I sat in Larry Ellison's office many years ago, I had no idea that Java would be invented or that he would end up owning it. He's a visionary. Larry, exercise that vision now! Just announcing that you're doing it may force Apple's and Google's hands. If they agree to support Java, then you're off the hook. If not, you'll have a grateful developer community.

Just because Sun Microsystems did Java and had Open Solaris available, I purchased a bunch of servers from them. My next purchases will be from Oracle as long as I can stay in business. Give me Java or I'll die.

Harry Keller
  • 8. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    966680 Newbie
    This project looks promising:
    http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/09/codenameone

There needs to be a pure Java solution for mobile devices to eliminate the recurring Tower of Babel problem. Java had the lead with JavaME, but that lead is gone now.
  • 9. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    966680 Newbie
    Applets are only held back by the browser vendors who don't appear to want them to succeed by having them blend seamlessly with the browser in terms of loading and behavior. For technically demanding, high performance applications, applets still work great once you overcome the gauntlet of security dialogs popping up and browser lockups apparently due to loading the plug-in in the browsers graphics event thread on Linux.

I agree that JWS is a great solution as well. It is puzzling that people download all kinds of native applications to their phone, but choose to hamstring themselves with HTML/Javascript-based applications on their powerful desktops. Whatever happened to the on-line Java app store? Maybe we just need a repository of reviewed and trusted apps for desktops?

JavaFX is light years ahead of HTML5/Javascript in capabilities, not to mention, being written on the rock-solid type-safe foundation of Java. I hope it flourishes!
  • 10. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    The most important 3 topics for a successful JavaFX story are:

1. support for the three most popular embedded devices and OSs iOS, Android and Windows 8 metro.
    2. support for distributing to Apple AppStore (Mac) and Windows Store (Metro)
    3. native looking skins (CSS files for Windows 8, Mac OS X, iOS, Android)

I started two projects for concering point 3: native looking skins for Windows and Mac OS X and native looking widgets for iOS. I will publish source code within the next weeks.

http://blog.software4java.com
  • 11. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    966378 Newbie
    thx@ tobi i haven't heard about this project "codename one" so far... that's exactly what i am searching for... well not exactly because javafx could be the same (and mature)

Yeah, JavaFx on mobile devices would be awesome... Since i heard the first time about JavaFx 2 i thought how nice it would be if this is going to be a cross platform solution...

Sadly besides 1-2 demos on ios, android there was so few information on the internet referred to the future of javafx. Then a few months ago i read some articles which gave me a ray of light... and now where javaone is over and i have nothing heard about javafx so far, my burning flame chokes, because now javafx just seems to be like a nice successor of swing (really nice one... but could be so much more in my opinion)
  • 12. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    I absolutely agree. JavaFX without support for mobile phones and tablets is nothing then a "nice successor of Swing" and dead like Flex....

So IMO JavaFX for mobile/tablets has to be released as soon as possible, 2012/2013, with Java9 it's definitively to late...
  • 13. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    gimbal2 Guru
    Tobi wrote:
    So IMO JavaFX for mobile/tablets has to be released as soon as possible, 2012/2013, with Java9 it's definitively to late...
    Alas, that's how it is going to be. Its a bit of a pipe dream anyway, if JavaFX would need to see a quick release on mobile platforms you'd need the full cooperation of the vendors of said mobile platforms. You can't expect Oracle to deliver miracles when "the others" basically have nothing to gain from Java cracking open their closed platforms and/or becoming an alternative to their home grown technologies...
  • 14. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    There is no need for a full cooperation of the vendors... The only need is to create a Java JRE with AOT like Flex and Mono did it. Then you can bundle your iOS app with JavaFX embedded "without problems".

As I read in some Twitter posts there are "no political and technical problems" in bundling Java JRE within a Android and iOS app. So I think the main problem is the management of Oracle and their ADF technology....

Best,
    Tobi

Edited by: Tobi on 08.10.2012 11:11
1 2 3 13 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points