This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2012 6:13 AM by sanikv RSS

how to switch from data guard really time apply (redo) to archive log

681506 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

Standby database configured with broker and applying the redo in really time; however, I want to change this to archive log apply mode without losing the broker configuration. Is it possible? If it is not possible to use broker to do archive log apply, can I remove the broker and use data guard to set up the standby to use archive log apply?

Regards
  • 1. Re: how to switch from data guard really time apply (redo) to archive log
    mseberg Guru
    Hello;

Broker automatically enables real-time apply on standby databases if the standby database has standby redo logs configured.

Stop redo apply
    DGMGRL> EDIT DATABASE 'PRIMARY' SET STATE='APPLY-OFF';
    Restart redo apply  broker
    DGMGRL> EDIT DATABASE 'PRIMARY' SET STATE='APPLY-ON';
    So get rid of the standby redo logs would be one way. I would leave it alone myself. Real time apply helps prevent data loss.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 2. Re: how to switch from data guard really time apply (redo) to archive log
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru
    user3076922 wrote:
    Hi

Standby database configured with broker and applying the redo in really time; however, I want to change this to archive log apply mode without losing the broker configuration. Is it possible? If it is not possible to use broker to do archive log apply, can I remove the broker and use data guard to set up the standby to use archive log apply?

Regards
    Hi

I think mseberg is answered correct, you can use enable/disable apply log with change of state on standby database with DGMGRL, as writen mseberg.

or you can disable recover standby database with following script from SQL*Plus.
     SQL> alter database recover managed standby database cancel;
    Regards
    Mahir M. Quluzade
    www.mahir-quluzade.com
  • 3. Re: how to switch from data guard really time apply (redo) to archive log
    681506 Newbie
    Thank you Msegerg and Mahir for your time.
  • 4. Re: how to switch from data guard really time apply (redo) to archive log
    sanikv Newbie
    why do you need to disable realtime apply in the first place.

Again removing standby redo logs will affect your protection, redo information from primary will be shipped only when they are archived which means that you will lose the transactions in the redologs which are yet to be archived on primary in case of a real disaster scenario.
    DGMGRL allows you to set a number of properties for the database to control the behaviour of various services like log shipping and apply, i guess you can turn of one of the parameter to disable realtime apply. Check the output of "SHOW DATABASE VERBOSE <standby_dbname>" the property names are self explanatory.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points