This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2012 3:48 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Distinction among  terms: Oracle Patch Set, Oracle Patch Bundle, ecc

774758 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi to all,

a customer asked me to update an Oracle database 10.1.3.0 on Windows 32 platform. THe only patches installed are **5556081** and *5557962*..

I looked for new updated patches and I founded some Oracle Recommended Patches ID 756671.1 and Oracle Patch Bundles ID 1207176.1 for 10.2.3.0.
Honestly I don't know how to proceed in the sense that i don't know if it is better to apply these bundle patches or to go directly to Oracle Patch Set 10.2.4.0 or 10.2.5.0 for a better update.
What is the difference between Oracle Patch Bundle and Oracle Patch Set?? and the difference between Oracle patch Set and Oracle Patch Set Update???
Any help will be well appreciated..I need to do this update asap

Thanks in advance

Susy Paparella OCP 10 G DBA
  • 1. Re: Distinction among  terms: Oracle Patch Set, Oracle Patch Bundle, ecc
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    user8837052 wrote:
    Hi to all,

a customer asked me to update an Oracle database 10.1.3.0 on Windows 32 platform. THe only patches installed are **5556081** and *5557962*..

I looked for new updated patches and I founded some Oracle Recommended Patches ID 756671.1 and Oracle Patch Bundles ID 1207176.1 for 10.2.3.0.
    Honestly I don't know how to proceed in the sense that i don't know if it is better to apply these bundle patches or to go directly to Oracle Patch Set 10.2.4.0 or 10.2.5.0 for a better update.
    What is the difference between Oracle Patch Bundle and Oracle Patch Set?? and the difference between Oracle patch Set and Oracle Patch Set Update???
    Any help will be well appreciated..I need to do this update asap

Thanks in advance

Susy Paparella OCP 10 G DBA
    Pl clarify what you mean by "10.1.3.0", "10.2.3.0", "10.2.4.0" and "10.2.5.0" - there a no such Oracle versions

I believe you mean 10.1.0.3, 10.2.0.3, 10.2.0.4 and 10.2.0.5

If so, all of the above are patch sets on top of the base release (10.1 or 10.2). It is always recommended to update to the latest patch set release.

Pl note that both 10.1 and 10.2 are de-supported - you should be using the latest 11gR2 version.

Patch set updates (PSU) are additional bundled fixes on top of patch sets - see this MOS Doc

Patch Set Updates for Oracle Products [ID 854428.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Distinction among  terms: Oracle Patch Set, Oracle Patch Bundle, ecc
    774758 Newbie
    Yes sorry my database is Oracle 10.2.3.0.(I wrote wrongly..because I was hurry..sorry)..so do you suggest me to go directly to 11GR2....?? in that case which Oracle Patch Set should I apply..??
    Would you mind also telling me what is the difference between Oracle Patch Set and Oracle Patch Bundle??

Thanks a lot in advance
    Susy
  • 3. Re: Distinction among  terms: Oracle Patch Set, Oracle Patch Bundle, ecc
    I do not know the specifics of your situation - so cannot suggest specific solution.

In general, you should be using 11gR2. This will require the following high-level steps

1. Install 11gR2 (11.2.0.3) in a new ORACLE_HOME - see http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/homepage

2. Apply the latest PSU patch available (11.2.0.3.3) - see this MOS Doc

Quick Reference to Patchset Patch Numbers [ID 753736.1]

3. Perform an upgrade from your current version to 11gR2 - if you are on 10.1.0.5, you can directly upgrade using DBUA ( see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/preup.htm#i1007814), else you will first have to apply the 10.1.0.5 patch set first.

"Bundle patch" is a term used only for Windows patches, where patch releases differ from Unix versions

Quick Reference To Patch Numbers For Database PSU, CPU And Bundle Patches [ID 1454618.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: Distinction among  terms: Oracle Patch Set, Oracle Patch Bundle, ecc
    774758 Newbie
    Hi Srini

thank you very much..I still have another question..

May this upgrade have any impact on the applications that run on Oracle 10.2.0.3 database??? that is
    may this upgrading actions cause a bad functioning of the underlying applications??

Thank very much in advance for your reply..

Susy
  • 5. Re: Distinction among  terms: Oracle Patch Set, Oracle Patch Bundle, ecc
    It is possible - it is best practice to test the upgrade on a test system and verify that the application continues to function as expected. If this is a application that is provided by a vendor, the vendor typically certifies the application to run against specific database versions

HTH
    Srini

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points