This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2012 7:36 AM by expressoteam RSS

Disaster Recovery site

Mohanad Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

We have an Oracle application 12.1.1 running with oracle database 10.2.0.4 and we're using HP-UX itanium 11i v3 servers for both application and database, our requirement is to establish a Disaster Recovery site out of our building to ensure data protection.

So what is the best option we can use to reduce the cost and to implement the DR site? can we use data guard ? and will be the configurations and requirements for it?

Thanks and Regards

Muhanad Suliman
  • 1. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    CKPT Guru
    Of course by implementing data guard, you can avail high availability.
    But you must have same operating system, same OS of course hardware confuguration can vary.
    But it should be oracle enterprise edition.

By using real-time apply you can have very minimal data lost on case of primary database failure.
  • 2. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    Mohanad Newbie
    Thanks for your reply.

So only the cost will be involved for the hardware and the database license.

Then i have to implement data guard for the database , what about the application ?

Thanks and regards.
    Muhanad Suliman
  • 3. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    CKPT Guru
    What about the application?
    You are in 10gR2, standby will be in mount status and it will be in recovery mode.
    Applications you cannot access now. Of course if you perform switchover or failover when your current standby become primary then only you can use for application purpose.

Of course from 11g you can keep standby database in open and read-only mode which is called Active Data Guard.

Standby database is useful for high availability if in case your primary not exist due to failures, then your standby role changed to primary database. Where you can avail your production back within minutes.

Please consider closing your threads if answered and keep the forum clean.
  • 4. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    553937 Newbie
     Then i have to implement data guard for the database , what about the application ? 
    Answer would be 'depends on business requirement'

What if your Appication node/server goes down and DB is fine ? Can your business wait till you rebuild (i.e install, configure ,deploy application or clone ) .Even if its yes, still you would need to think about Recovery point objective (RPO) . Will you loose any configuration details . Will you be able to restore to a point where it crashed ?

Well, an ideal DR would be to have both DB and App at DR site kept in sync with Primary/Production.

Regards,
    Sasi
  • 5. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    Mohanad Newbie
    Dear Sasi,

Thanks alot for your good reply.

If i implement this DR site , can i later implement RAC ? and ist better to implement RAC first then DR site or DR then RAC , note that out main concern is to protect the data from the disaster , the data vailability is coming after protection because there is no lose in case of unplaned downtime , the business can afford 24 hours downtime.

Regards

Muhanad
  • 6. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    dba-hyd Pro
    The ideal approach is to setup RAC for the primary database first, then implement DataGuard for your RAC Primary.
  • 7. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    Mohanad Newbie
    HI,

Okay, but in case taht we have a limited budget for the time being . so i need to protect my data and application in case of major disater which may happen any time. So now can i start with data guard to create remote site which can help me also to switch my user to that site in case of major disastor? then later to implement RAC? or to what ?

Also what i need exactly o implement DG ? server ,storage , UPS, network connectivity and Oracle enterpriste edition license ? tahts it or anything more?

Regards
  • 8. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    966823 Newbie
    Hi guys i need advice on the disaster recovery in terms of the hardware , can u have your DR set up with a exadata to non exatada or the hardware must be the same i am asking in terms of costs lets say u have a budget so ure production is on exadata can ure dr server be non exadata ? and what are the risks if yes ...

thanks ...
  • 9. Re: Disaster Recovery site
    expressoteam Newbie
    mahlatse ch wrote:
    Hi guys i need advice on the disaster recovery in terms of the hardware , can u have your DR set up with a exadata to non exatada or the hardware must be the same i am asking in terms of costs lets say u have a budget so ure production is on exadata can ure dr server be non exadata ? and what are the risks if yes ...

thanks ...
    it possible.
    the risks: when you switchover or failover to the non-exadata server the performance is going to be based on the hardware. for example if you have a car with speed capacity of 300km/h and you switch/change to another car of 100km/h. you can not exceed 100km/h in the new car!!!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points