This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 13 Previous Next 182 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 5:40 AM by rukbat Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Jeff Martin Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Please, Oracle, announce this support! The mobile revolution now is like the web revolution was: to be relevant, you have to have a mobile story. I've been pitching JavaFX to many of my customers and they seem excited about the idea of writing next gen versions on one platform, with modern features, that runs anywhere.

Without Mobile support, JavaFX is like a Ferrari that runs on coal - awesome and useless. Oracle, you're hurting us! :-)
  • 16. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    RichardBair Journeyer
    I've been watching this thread, of course pleased :-). To make a positive impact, anybody who has a commercial interest in this (beyond "I'm a Java developer and I think it would be cool", but really money on the line), please send me an email (richard dot bair at oracle dot com).

Thanks
    Richard
  • 17. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    James_D Guru
    Adrian Romanelli wrote:

So I'd suggest making your voices heard to Oracle,
    What's the best way of making our voices heard? I'm guessing Oracle management isn't actually following this thread (though maybe I'm wrong...)
  • 18. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    jsmith Guru
    So I think the main problem is the management of Oracle and their ADF technology....
    To provide some context to this, here's a link to what the ADF mobile technology is planned to be:
    http://www.oracle.com/ocom/groups/public/@otn/documents/webcontent/513078.pdf

I had thought that ADF was formalized back end tech with a JSF front end (which it is to a certain extent, but mobile ADF does bring more than that - e.g. a Mobile Browser, client jvm, PhoneGap interface, ...).

After reading about mobile ADF, I am more confused about the potential mobile strategy for JavaFX.

If JavaFX were (again) released for mobile there would be lot of overlap with the ADF roadmap.
  • 19. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    ADF is yet another HTML5 based frontend technology like 100 other frameworks like JQuery Mobile or Sencha Touch (I could list many more if you want)

The problems with this HTML5 based are the following:

- There are many many existing solutions.
    - HTML5 based UI frameworks for mobile development provides very poor performance, especially on Android devices.
    - with HTML based UIs you can't use your existing Java Swing / JavaFX code from the desktop version on mobile! You'll have to reimplement it!
    - you can't implement complex interactive user interfaces like audio waveforms. you can't use professional approaches like Threading!
    - there are so many missing approaches like Threading, Internationalisation (I18n), real object oriented programming, ...
    - it's sooo time consuming to develop well looking web interfaces which work on every browser and platform (IE, Android, Safari, ...)

ADF and other html based apps are good for simple apps like "Todo Apps" but why do Oracle develops and pushs client technologies like JavaFX on desktop? We could also develop our desktop applications with HTML5 too.... But we won't!

Best regards,
    Tobi
  • 20. No JavaFX on iPhone, Adnroid and Windows8?
    Tobi Newbie
    Please check out this article: http://technology.amis.nl/2012/10/08/javaone-2012-the-big-stories/ under section "JavaFX":

"JavaFX is no longer intended for use on SmartPhones. The iPhone, Android and Windows Mobile phones are provided by the respective platforms – there is no room there for JavaFX. JavaFX is targeted at the desktop – to replace Swing – and at smaller devices that run embedded Java"

So JavaFX on iOS is really dead? So JavaFX is dead?
  • 21. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    896338 Newbie
    I'm adding my voice to those who are crushed by the notion that FX will not run on Android and iOS tablets.

We were teased by the JavaOne 2011 keynote showing FX running on a variety of tablets:
    http://java.dzone.com/articles/javaone-2011-javafx-20

I cannot believe that Oracle is backing away from this initiative. It is inconceivable to me that the FX team would put together an astonishing UI platform only to exclude the planet's most exciting new platforms - some of the fastest-growing technologies in history.

Deploying FX co-bundled apps to tablets is such a no-brainer that one cannot help but suspect the presence of Legal and (at least with respect to Android) the fallout from Judge Alsup's ruling. If this is the case, please please please put aside the appeal and embrace a new collaborative spirit so that we can make our FX apps work on the devices they are crying out to run on.

Otherwise this beautiful window of opportunity will close.
  • 22. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    967095 Newbie
    Hi
    I support your view 100%. I see JavaFX as the perfect unifying technology for mobile devices. Having a Java VM underneath all mobile platforms (at least the major ones) would position Java strongly and put it where JavaME was.
    I hope Oracle goes for WORA not only on desktop, but also on mobile. Positioning JavaFX as a Swing successor is a missed opportunity.
    Regards,
    Claus
  • 23. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    100% agree.
  • 24. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    875756 Pro
    So incredibly dissapointed by this whole fiasco.

JavaFX is currently not competitive with HTML5 for web apps and it doesn't look like Oracle's interested in making it competitive. Currently it's only thing in its favour is that it avoids cross browser issues but this is nullified by its ongoing, unresolved deployment issues. Amazingly there is actually significantly less pain in getting a web app to work cross platform than to get a JFX app built and deployed in a way that can be used cross platform.

Now it looks like JavaFX is not going to compete on SmartDevices.

Which leaves Desktop. The only desktop app I use is my IDE. Everything else is web based or mobile, from google docs, email clients, banking, CRM, accounting, atlassian tools, google maps - what can't you do online or on a smartphone these days? There are web based IDEs under construction too. I've just written this post on my iPhone rather than boot up my laptop!

The future is cloud and mobile. Are you really saying you can't see that?

Even in this dwindling desktop space, web currently matches or exceeds JFX features in nearly all areas. You'd be just as well off to build a desktop app in HTML5 and a JScript library these days and since HTML5 is replacing Java as the only viable write-once-run-anywhere language, you get better library and tool support (try using JFX with Maven or show me an IDE that can process FXML files anywhere near as good as it can process HTML and JavaScript).

And therein lies the point. The question is not "is there commercial interest in jfx on ios" but rather "is there commercial interest in having one language that works on all target platforms". Undoubtably yes - it's simpler, cheaper, and quicker to develop and maintain. This is why HTML5 is so popular. Is that not obvious? JavaFX could potentially be better than HTML5, since then we'd have pure Java from UI to database. But this will never be if it can't be deployed as quickly and easily as web based apps to all platforms desktop and mobile.

Of course if we can't go for Java all the way through and we have to use JScript anyway then we may as well look at using JScript in the backend and do away with Java altogether. JScript may suck but technology homogeny is a big sell. Do a quick google, JScript backend platforms are on the rise purely for this reason.

Oracle management wants to know what business case there is for JavaFX on mobile. I want to know what business case there is for JavaFX (and further down the track, Java itself) without mobile?

Sort your game out Oracle or put us out of our misery and tell us this ain't happening. Don't waste our time asking us ridiculous questions about whether this is a good idea or not. If you need to ask that, then you've got no idea what's happening in the real world and you're not the guys I want to back for my platform of the future.
  • 25. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    zonski wrote:
    Oracle management wants to know what business case there is for JavaFX on mobile. I want to know what business case there is for JavaFX (and further down the track, Java itself) without mobile?

Sort your game out Oracle or put us out of our misery and tell us this ain't happening. Don't waste our time asking us ridiculous questions about whether this is a good idea or not. If you need to ask that, then you've got no idea what's happening in the real world and you're not the guys I want to back for my platform of the future.
    This is the point! There are so many good Oracle members who are developing OpenJDK and JavaFX. All these efforts are useless if Oracle does not see the need for supporting the major platforms Win, Mac, Android, iOS. So please stop asking and speak to your community!
  • 26. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    QuidNovi Newbie
    Tobi wrote:I started two projects for concering point 3: native looking skins for Windows and Mac OS X and native looking widgets for iOS. I will publish source code within the next weeks.
    Sounds awesome. I really hope we could have some open repository to centralize and extend this much-needed initiative.
  • 27. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    It really hope there are developers who could help me to provide high quality skins for Win,Mac,iOS and Android.
  • 28. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    967257 Newbie
    Java write once run anywhere (Windows 8 store, ios, Android)!
  • 29. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    967257 Newbie
    Hi Richard,

If Java/JavaFX cannot hold into "+Java, write once run anywhere+" then it is dead!
1 2 3 4 13 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points