This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 6:37 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Upgrade 9i to 11g

moslee Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I have looked through some of the threads on "upgrade 9i to 11g" but I need some solid inputs from this forum as my scenario is slightly abit different. Currently I want to upgrade:

Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition (9.2.0.8)
Windows Server 2003 (32 bit)
220GB of data to be migrated
--- to ---
Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition (11.2.0.3)
Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 (64 bit)

I know that I can have a direct upgrade to 11g and I can afford to have downtime for 2 - 3 hours. I have read some Oracle article in Oracle support and know that the only method is through exp/imp or Data Pump expdp/impdp. I understand that Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 does not support Oracle 9i...

I would like to ask the following questions:
1) Should I try out the upgrading using my oracle 9i development set first to have a feel, understanding that development is different from production? My development is on Windows Server 2003 (32 bit) SP2...
2) How long will upgrade via exp/imp 220GB take?
3) Can I have 11g EE (32 bit) running on a Windows Server 2008 Standard (64 bit)? If so, can I exp/imp from 9i (32 bit) to 11g (32bit) and subsequently change 11g (32bit) to 11g (64bit)?
4) What other issue should I take note of?

Thanks for you sharing.
  • 1. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see the steps in "Case 2" of this MOS Doc

Database Migration With OS Upgrade On Windows Platform [ID 752986.1]

You will need to copy 220G of database files over, then perform a manual upgrade using scripts. The upgrade itself will take between 4 to 8 hours, depending on your hardware performance. To this you will need to add the time to copy over 220G of files.

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    user11435089 Newbie
    Hello,

I'm in the process of doing a very similar exercise to you i.e. moving a 9i database from Windowes 2003 to 11.2.0.3 on Windows 2008R2 - have you made any progress on your upgrade and if so what did you find the most efficient method was ?

Thanks very much,

Regards,
    Mark
  • 3. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    Helios-GunesEROL Oracle ACE
    Hi;

I suggest please review:
    Master Note For Oracle Database Upgrades and Migrations [ID 1152016.1]
    Different Upgrade Methods For Upgrading Your Database [ID 419550.1]

Please also check my blog

http://heliosguneserol.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/move-to-oracle-database-11g-release-2-wiht-mike-dietrich/

In this pdf you can see patch of to upgrade db from x to n wiht many senerios wiht all related metalinks notes which is created by Oracle worker Mike Dietrich

Regard
    Helios
  • 4. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Mark,

I have not started on the upgrading yet, but soon I guess. I am too reading up on what are the best possible methods. Will keep you posted.

To all,

Thanks for your valueable inputs. I am still in the midst of reading up. Will continue to keep this thread alive.
  • 5. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi

I am still on this task in planning the upgrading/migrating of my database after a long break.

Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition (9.2.0.8)
    Windows Server 2003 (32 bit)
    220GB of data to be migrated
    --- to ---
    Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition (11.2.0.3)
    Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 (64 bit)

Just to clarify on one point,
    1) In Oracle document "Changing between 32-bit and 64-bit Word Sizes [ID 62290.1]", it states that:

+*<Moderator Edit - deleted MOS Doc contents  pl do NOT post such content - is it a violation of your Support agreement>*+

and in the latter paragraph it states that:

+*<Moderator Edit - deleted MOS Doc contents  pl do NOT post such content - is it a violation of your Support agreement>*+

2) Then in slides 112 of http://www.scribd.com/doc/77551211/F719141649-Upgrade-and-Migrate-to-11gR2
    It states that in the changing between 32bit and 64bit Oracle Homes there is no action required - it happens implicitly during upgrade/downgrade.+

I would like to ask when I migrate data from my 9i 32bit to 11g 64bit, I do not have to do anything?

To Mark, this slide is very useful for our case.
  • 6. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    Pl elaborate on what you mean by "I do not have to do anything".

You will have to run upgrade scripts as indicated - as part of this process, the word size will get changed from 32-bit to 64-bit

HTH
    Srini
  • 7. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Srini

In this context only, I mean after i run the upgrade scripts, no further action is required on my part. The word size will be changed from 32 bit to 64 bit implicitly.

Am I right? Just seeking double confirmation from you guys. =)

I will be starting to have my first round of testing soon...

3 Main References:
    Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 11gR2 [ID 837570.1]
    How To Change Oracle 11g Wordsize from 32-bit to 64-bit. [ID 548978.1]
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/77551211/F719141649-Upgrade-and-Migrate-to-11gR2
  • 8. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    Correct - the upgrade process will change the word size.

HTH
    Srini
  • 9. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Srini

With reference to slides 34 in http://www.scribd.com/doc/77551211/F719141649-Upgrade-and-Migrate-to-11gR2 , it mentions about removing those parameters such as underscores _ , old para and events...

When I looked into my spfile.ora which belongs to Oracle 9i, I am confused what the slide is referring.. To clarify, my database is up and running at this point of time and I am using Notepad++ to read the spfile.ora.

Some examples are:

*.background_dump_dest='C:\oracle\admin\DBdev\bdump'
    *.db_block_size=8192
    *.log_archive_format='ARC_DBDEV_%S_%T.arc'

Going back to slides 34, does it mean that I have to remove all these underscores _ in my spfile? By the way, I have no event nor the character " in my spfile.

Do i have to change?
    *.db_block_size=8192 to *.dbblocksize=8192 ?

OR

*.log_archive_format='ARC_DBDEV_%S_%T.arc' to *.log_archive_format='ARCDBDEV%S%T.arc' ?
  • 10. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Sri

Do I have to change my hidden parameters as well? How does the changing/removing of these hidden parameters help in the upgrade process?

Oh my, I have 608 rows of hidden parameters when I query this:
    select * from SYS.X$KSPPI where substr(KSPPINM,1,1) = '_';

http://arjudba.blogspot.jp/2008/05/hidden-parameters-in-oracle-how-to.html mentions that:
    It is never recommended to modify these hidden parameters without the assistance of Oracle Support.Changing these parameters may lead to high performance degradation and other problems in the database.
    In order to change hidden parameter,
    1)If you use pfile then in your initSID.ora you can entry of the hidden parameter and start the database.

2)If you want to use for the current session you can use ALTER SESSION SET ....

3)To set it permanently if you use spfile then use, ALTER SYSTEM SET ...... SCOPE=SPFILE. Since hidden parameter starts with underscore(_) to access it you have to specify within double quotes. If you use SCOPE=SPFILE then in order to take effect you need to restart database. You can use SCOPE=BOTH if parameter can be set in the session also.

Edited by: 940854 on Oct 9, 2012 11:19 PM

• 11. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Srini

Thanks for confirming that!
  • 12. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    >
    Do i have to change?
    *.db_block_size=8192 to *.dbblocksize=8192 ?
    >

No you do not have to do this - pl re-read the OFFICIAL documentation on the upgrade process (rather than someone else's interpretation of it)

HTH
    Srini
  • 13. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    >
    Oh my, I have 608 rows of hidden parameters when I query this:
    select * from SYS.X$KSPPI where substr(KSPPINM,1,1) = '_';
    >

This query will show all available hidden parameters, whether set or not.

You need to query V$PARAMETER where ISDEFAULT is FALSE to get a list of underscore parameters have been set.

HTH
    Srini
  • 14. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
    moslee Newbie
    Hi Srini

Do you mean that those slides in http://www.scribd.com/doc/77551211/F719141649-Upgrade-and-Migrate-to-11gR2 are not official? Aren't they from Oracle?

May I know what official document are you referring to that explains about the SPFILE parameters ("old" parameters, underscores, events) in details? I tried searching for many Oracle Upgrade Documents that explain this SPFILE parameters but most are just the same as this Oracle slide.

I'm doing the general sanity operations and as I read further down I understand that I don't have to do *.db_block_size=8192 to *.dbblocksize=8192.... (silly of me to ask but it's part of learning).
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points