This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2012 11:44 AM by 719669 RSS

To Create Database or Not

895327 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm installing Oracle 11.2.0.3 on RHEL 6 Linux and during the OUI, I am prompted with a section of the installer that asks if I would like to:

- Create / Configure database
- Install database software only
- Upgrade

My question is what exactly am I omitting or will I encounter if I select 'Install database software only'? Is it recommended to select this option if I don't need the sample 'SCOTT' database and other stuff not necessary to run Oracle 11g R2?

Secondly my next question is also about the installer...under the 'Which database version do you want to install menu page or OUI', I'm selecting Enterprise Edition but I'm being told to make sure I don't load un-necessary components that we wont use. Assuming this is the most basic single instance database server ever to filter dust, what components can I remove and still have a minimal functioning Oracle 11g R2 database with?

- Oracle Partitioning
- Oracle OLAP
- Oracle Label Security
- Oracle Data Mining RDBMS Files
- Oracle Real Application Testing

I've so far deselected them all because I don't think I need any of those. I'm just not sure if I can install a healthy database software if I omit all of the above...
  • 1. Re: To Create Database or Not
    phaeus Pro
    Hello,
    you can also install a database without all this components. I have also some customers which get trouble while a license audit when the install this components, while the have only have a enterprise Edt. license.

You can also install the database from the installer screen, but for me i prefer to use the dbca afterwards. Because i can install all PSU Patches and then create the database i want with the patches in place as long i did not take a predifiend database.

regards
    Peter
  • 2. Re: To Create Database or Not
    895327 Newbie
    So none of the components I listed above from the OUI component selection window are 'CRITICAL' to successfully installed 11g R2, right? I guess that's all I'm not clear about right now. I have deselected all the component options and want to proceed with just installing a plain single instance Oracle Database 11g R2.
  • 3. Re: To Create Database or Not
    phaeus Pro
    Hello,
    no.
    If you need this database for a application which depends on this feature then yes you need it (and maybe you mus license it). But as long you did not need this for your application you can also deselect it during installation.

regards
    Peter
  • 4. Re: To Create Database or Not
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    For the options, pl see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/editions.htm#CJACGHEB

Some options are included in EE, others are not (i.e. will cost extra). If you have an EE license, you can select/include all of the options include in an EE license.

If you choose 'Install database software only' then you are only installing the software. The 'Create / Configure database' option not only installs the software, but also creates an empty database.

All of this is documented, assuming you care to read the documentation - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/inst_task.htm#BABJGGJH

HTH
    Srini
  • 5. Re: To Create Database or Not
    895327 Newbie
    Srini Chavali wrote:
    If you choose 'Install database software only' then you are only installing the software. The 'Create / Configure database' option not only installs the software, but also creates an empty database.
    I think it also installs other things to like generic / test schemas / users. So what can I expect to see or have to do manually if I choose 'Install database software only'? Does this mean after the installation is complete I have to manually create a database using SQL statements? If I select the above mentioned option, can I not simply connect to my database instance and run 'startup' from SQL*Plus or because there's no empty database, I would have to do something manually before being able to run the 'startup' command in SQL*Plus?
    All of this is documented, assuming you care to read the documentation - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/inst_task.htm#BABJGGJH
    Thanks for the link above. I read the page and not knowing anything about Oracle software, I'm guessing if I select EE (Enterprise Edition), I can de-select EVERY option and still have a functioning / healthy RDBMS, correct? None of the options in the URL above seem to be madatory in order for me to create a database, schema, user, or put data into tables. correct me if I'm wrong please...

Thanks again for your help!
  • 6. Re: To Create Database or Not
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    "Install database software only" means exactly that - only software will be installed and no database will be created. Pl read the doc link I posted - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/inst_task.htm#BABJGGJH

If you want to create a database after the software has been installed, you have two options - use DBCA to create a database or create a database manually using scripts. Again, all of this is documented.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/create002.htm#ADMIN12479
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/create003.htm#ADMIN11073

HTH
    Srini
  • 7. Re: To Create Database or Not
    EdStevens Guru
    CarlosinFL wrote:
    I'm installing Oracle 11.2.0.3 on RHEL 6 Linux and during the OUI, I am prompted with a section of the installer that asks if I would like to:

- Create / Configure database
    - Install database software only
    - Upgrade

My question is what exactly am I omitting or will I encounter if I select 'Install database software only'? Is it recommended to select this option if I don't need the sample 'SCOTT' database and other stuff not necessary to run Oracle 11g R2?

Secondly my next question is also about the installer...under the 'Which database version do you want to install menu page or OUI', I'm selecting Enterprise Edition but I'm being told to make sure I don't load un-necessary components that we wont use. Assuming this is the most basic single instance database server ever to filter dust, what components can I remove and still have a minimal functioning Oracle 11g R2 database with?

- Oracle Partitioning
    - Oracle OLAP
    - Oracle Label Security
    - Oracle Data Mining RDBMS Files
    - Oracle Real Application Testing

I've so far deselected them all because I don't think I need any of those. I'm just not sure if I can install a healthy database software if I omit all of the above...
    To (hopefully) clarify, summarize, and add to previous comments

1) none of the components are necessary for a minimal database. You could start by de-selecting all of them. If your app then runs into a problem because it relies on a component you didn't install, you can always come back and add it in.

2) If you select to create a database at installation you will not have as much control over how it is created. I agree with phaeus, to install software only then use dbca to create your db. One word of caution there .. if you select one of the pre-defined database types, you will get a database that is essentially an rman restore of a pre-built database as of the base level of your rdbms. Thus, it will possibly need the upgrade scripts applied if you have upgraded/patched your software. If you select 'custom database', it will create the database truly from scratch - executing a CREATE DATABASE statement. As a result the database created will be current with the release/patch level of the ORACLE_HOME.
  • 8. Re: To Create Database or Not
    719669 Newbie
    Hi,

To answer your question

1) The options that are available with OUI , you can consider them as follows

- Create / Configure database ( Installs the Oracle Software + Creates a starter Database )
    - Install database software only ( Installs the Oracle Software only )

If you choose "Install Database Software only", then to create a Database you will have to use the DBCA.
    (Note: I personally feel this to be better practice as this gives you much more control during the Database creation stage )

2) Database editions like Enterprise / Standard / Personal are to be chosen based on the licenses that you hold.
    Unchecking all the options will still provide you a Database in a working condition.
    If a very basic Database is the need of the hour you can go ahead by unchecking those options.

Regards,
    BT

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points