This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 2:14 PM by 802907 RSS

DS migration from 5.2 SP4 to 6.0 latest fixpack

967746 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I would want to know if anybody has done this. If yes, please let me know the issues faced during migration

Any help would be great !!

Edited by: 964743 on Oct 11, 2012 7:06 AM
  • 1. Re: DS migration from 5.2 SP4 to 6.0 latest fixpack
    Marco Milo Journeyer
    This is the official product documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19261-01/index.html

and this is the migration guide:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19261-01/820-2762/index.html

HTH,
    marco

P.S.: if you don't have other 'constraints' I strongly suggest you to quickly move to a more recent version (ODSEE 11.1.1.5 or even OUD)
  • 2. Re: DS migration from 5.2 SP4 to 6.0 latest fixpack
    967746 Newbie
    Thanks very much !!

I can not move to the latest release since there is a dependency on the Websphere Application Server(WAS) version.
  • 3. Re: DS migration from 5.2 SP4 to 6.0 latest fixpack
    967746 Newbie
    Please let me know if there is a tried an tested approach for this migration process apart from that mentioned in the migration guide
  • 4. Re: DS migration from 5.2 SP4 to 6.0 latest fixpack
    John Prince Newbie
    Hello,

Moving to Patch 6 is tested and more than recommended approach due to inherent security holes in Patch 4. I believe this was suggested long back, and various organizations have already performed it. Go ahead and apply this patch w/o any further delay.

The steps as outlined in the doc are pretty straight forward, stpes might vary based on environment setup, however as far as patch is concerned, everyone has to follow the basic as suggested.

J Prince

Edited by: John Prince on Oct 15, 2012 10:09 PM
  • 5. Re: DS migration from 5.2 SP4 to 6.0 latest fixpack
    802907 Journeyer
    I've done this migration quite a few times, including for some large customers.

First off, I'm a big believer in not using the migration scripts at all. This is for several reasons:

1) Look at the release notes and migration guide. Find the list of stuff the migration tools don't migrate. If you have anything configured in that list, you're doing a manual migration anyway. You may as well go soup to nuts and do it right.

2) Can you configure your current Directory installation from scratch, parameter by parameter? If not, you shouldn't be doing anything to it besides studying it. If you can, then you should be able to configure the new version similarly.

3) New version means new features. How can you assess which new features will benefit you if all you do is blindly migrate your old configurations?

That's my $.02.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points