This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 1:07 PM by EdStevens RSS

difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log

MiledMoukhtafi Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Sir,

there is any difference in the speed IO if we create redo log file with extension .rdo or .log?!!!!

regards,
  • 1. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    sb92075 Guru
    Miled Moukhtafi wrote:
    Dear Sir,

there is any difference in the speed IO if we create redo log file with extension .rdo or .log?!!!!

regards,
    real OS (*NIX) do NOT have file extensions; so you must be referring to Windoze.

I suggest you avoid using *.log since some folks "assume" that you can & should delete log files to free up disk space
  • 2. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    The previous versions of Oracle db used to mention the extension as *.rdo but now its *.log. But whatever is the extension, it doesn't make any difference in the working. You can even make it *.txt , it would still remain Redo Log file.

Aman....
  • 3. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    >
    Will your car perform any better if you call it 'sweetheart' instead of 'you lousy piece of junk'?
  • 4. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    rp0428 wrote:
    >
    >
    Will your car perform any better if you call it 'sweetheart' instead of 'you lousy piece of junk'?
    LOL

Aman....
  • 5. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    John Stegeman Oracle ACE
    My mother used to call the car "Betsy" when it was having trouble starting in cold weather, as in, "c'mon Betsy!" It didn't seem to have much effect, so apparently ".rdo" vs ".log" will have no effect on performance.

John
  • 6. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    My mother used to call the car "Betsy" when it was having trouble starting in cold weather, as in, "c'mon Betsy!" It didn't seem to have much effect, so apparently ".rdo" vs ".log" will have no effect on performance.
    >
    Does that demonstrate conclusively that your car was male?

Because, unlike my car, my wife definitely performs differently if I call her 'sweetheart' instead of 'you lousy piece of junk'?

And after I call her the latter, I also perform differently until I have completely healed. :D
  • 7. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    Mark Malakanov (user11181920) Expert
    You can even make it *.txt , it would still remain Redo Log file.
    Yes. But Windows sometimes treats files differently when you call them different names. rename notepad.exe to notepad.txt and it won't start.
    rename notepad.exe to setup.exe and it starts with Admin privileges(!).
    :)
    May be Windows see that file is named .log, and turns on write-append mode when a program writes to this file, for better performance, so program does not need to call seek()? ;)
    Who knows! Windows is not Open source.
  • 8. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    EdStevens Guru
    user11181920 wrote:
    You can even make it *.txt , it would still remain Redo Log file.
    Yes. But Windows sometimes treats files differently when you call them different names. rename notepad.exe to notepad.txt and it won't start.
    rename notepad.exe to setup.exe and it starts with Admin privileges(!).
    :)
    May be Windows see that file is named .log, and turns on write-append mode when a program writes to this file, for better performance, so program does not need to call seek()? ;)
    Who knows! Windows is not Open source.
    Lot's of OS's aren't open source, but they don't behave in the bizarre fashion of Windows. "My momma always said Windows was like a box of chocolates ...."
  • 9. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    jgarry Guru
    I have this irrational fear that someone will associate the extension .log with a wordprocessing program that changes things silently, so someone opens on the log, goes "wtf?" closes it, and corrupts it. Even though I know that is much less likely than sysadmins removing old log files.

Probably from too many times seeing people copy things between unix and Windows, where some ways following the same directions convert CRLF and other ways don't.
  • 10. Re: difference between redo log extension .rdo  .log
    EdStevens Guru
    jgarry wrote:
    I have this irrational fear that someone will associate the extension .log with a wordprocessing program that changes things silently, so someone opens on the log, goes "wtf?" closes it, and corrupts it. Even though I know that is much less likely than sysadmins removing old log files.

Probably from too many times seeing people copy things between unix and Windows, where some ways following the same directions convert CRLF and other ways don't.
    I'm convinced that when it comes to ways in which your db can get corrupted, there's no such thing as an irrational fear. Just one more reason why I hate Windows. And why I don't think DBA's will become extinct within my grandson's lifetime.

Though I will say that the most spectacular disasters I've ever had to recover from have all been induced by sysadmins, who have

1) TWICE at the same shop: deleted redo logs to gain space. "they are just log files, right?" That's when I went back to the older standard of naming them .rdo instead of .log.
    2) same shop as #1 - fdisk on the wrong disk
    3) same shop - "I'll help out the dba by fixing an init parm with notepad -- on the spfile.
    4) different shop (and this was the most spectacular of all) -- "While I'm adding a new bank of disks to the SAN, let's do some reorganization - after all, they are hot swappable . . . "

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points