1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 8:37 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
        moslee
        Hi Srini

Am I right to say that these 2 are the same?
        1) select name, value from v$parameter where ISDEFAULT = 'FALSE';
        2) create pfile from spfile;

They gave me the same results... 41 rows of parameter... 0 events and 0 underscore hidden parameters..
        • 16. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          "scribd" is not an official Oracle site :-)

Pl see the documents and presentations here - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/upgrade/index.html

The official upgrade guide is here - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/toc.htm

HTH
          Srini
          • 17. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            940854 wrote:
            Hi Srini

Am I right to say that these 2 are the same?
            1) select name, value from v$parameter where ISDEFAULT = 'FALSE';
            2) create pfile from spfile;

They gave me the same results... 41 rows of parameter... 0 events and 0 underscore hidden parameters..
            Not sure what you mean by "same" - the former shows all initialization parameters that have been explicitly set, and the latter creates a pfile initialization file from spfile settings.

If they show zero 0 events and 0 underscore parameters, then you are good :-)

HTH
            Srini
            • 18. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
              efierro
              940854 wrote:
              I know that I can have a direct upgrade to 11g and I can afford to have downtime for 2 - 3 hours. I have read some Oracle article in Oracle support and know that the only method is through exp/imp or Data Pump expdp/impdp. I understand that Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 does not support Oracle 9i...
              Have you considered this?:
              Replicating your database with Golden Gate first, let it catch up and run for some time, that also gives you some time to test reports and read functions in your app, then do the cut-over from the source 9i db to the target 11g db and stop the GG replication.
              That would save you downtime to only the time it takes to redirect your application from the old to the new db server.
              2) How long will upgrade via exp/imp 220GB take?
              It make take a while depending on the resources of your servers for export and import, adding to that transferring the files. A direct remote upgrade is better as it was suggested in other replies to this thread.
              3) Can I have 11g EE (32 bit) running on a Windows Server 2008 Standard (64 bit)? If so, can I exp/imp from 9i (32 bit) to 11g (32bit) and subsequently change 11g (32bit) to 11g (64bit)?
              Yes you can, the 11g db would be a brand new empty db where you are dumping data into. What I would do is directly import into 11g 64 bit if that is your target version. Still downtime is an issue here.
              • 19. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
                moslee
                Hi Srini

I mean they give the "same" contents.. Thanks for those sites, they complement with the Oracle slides..
                • 20. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
                  moslee
                  Hi efierro

Thanks for your suggestion but GG will bring in additional cost for the license. This will bring me to another domain of problems - justifying to top management for the money..

Yup you are right. Our plan is to install 11g in a new environment (new OS, new server hardware) and migrate all those data from Oracle 9.2.0.8 that are residing on the old server.

I am in the initial testing phrase now..
                  • 21. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
                    moslee
                    Just to update on this post.. I have successfully completed my upgrade/migration as below mentioned:

[During testing phase]
                    Setup a new 11.2.0.3 64bit DB in a new 64bit hardware (Win server 2012) with a new IP address.
                    Full export from source 9i 32bit DB in the old 32bit hardware (Win server 2003).
                    Full import to the new 11.2.0.3 64bit DB.
                    Allow users and developers to test on the new 11.2.0.3 64bit DB by modifying the tnsnames.ora (hostname) to point to the new IP address.
                    Once testing has been completed, modify the tnsnames.ora (hostname) to point back to the source DB IP address.

[Duing actual downtime phase]
                    Alter system to restricted mode.
                    Full export from source 9i 32bit DB in the old 32bit hardware (Win server 2003).
                    Full import to the new 11.2.0.3 64bit DB.
                    Change the IP address of the old 32bit hardware (Win server 2003) to another IP address which only Developers and DBA knew.
                    Change the IP address of the new 64bit hardware (Win server 2012) to the IP address that the users have in their Oracle client tnsnames.ora (hostname)
                    Monitor the situation and make amendments until new DB is stable.
                    • 22. Re: Upgrade 9i to 11g
                      Srini Chavali-Oracle
                      Appreciate the update ! I assume you ran into no major issues ?

Srini
                      1 2 Previous Next