This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2012 3:34 PM by 910522 RSS

physical standby creation

966684 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Environment - Production and Disaster Recovery Centre have a active passive cluster on solaris 10. Oracle version - Oracle 11gR2.

Want to Set up Physical Standby and configure a DG Broker to manually manage the DG.

I have gone through the steps as per MOS 1075908.1. Is it similar OR what additional steps needed.

Please advise
  • 1. Re: physical standby creation
    JohnWatson Guru
    >
    Want to Set up Physical Standby and configure a DG Broker to manually manage the DG.

I have gone through the steps as per MOS 1075908.1. Is it similar OR what additional steps needed.
    I assume you mean "automatically", not "manually"? The extra steps are to enable the Broker! Start the DMON processes, create your configuration, add your databases, enable the configuration, sit back and relax.
    Have a go, it is pretty straightforward.
  • 2. Re: physical standby creation
    dataseven Explorer
    hi,

To setup and configure Data Guard Broker set the DG_BROKER_START init parameter to TRUE
    Edit the listener.ora on both nodes to add a static entry for DGMGRL

pls have a look at this doc

http://gjilevski.wordpress.com/2010/03/14/creating-oracle-data-guard-in-11g-r2-using-data-guard-broker-with-dgmgrl/

regards,
  • 3. Re: physical standby creation
    966684 Newbie
    My environment is a active-passive cluster (OS Cluster).
    The production has 2 Nodes, and DRC has 2 Nodes.

The cluster is running fine.

Do I need any extra steps to configure the physical standby like in listener or tnsnames. Since a active-passive cluster will sue a VIP for failover
  • 4. Re: physical standby creation
    JohnWatson Guru
    Sorry, man, I don't understand what you are trying to do. If you already have some sort of OS fault tolerance comnfigured, why are you using Data Guard?
  • 5. Re: physical standby creation
    966684 Newbie
    JohnWatson wrote:
    Sorry, man, I don't understand what you are trying to do. If you already have some sort of OS fault tolerance configured, why are you using Data Guard?
    Setup is similar to this;

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17157/architectures.htm#CIHCECGE

Edited by: 963681 on Oct 12, 2012 12:30 AM
  • 6. Re: physical standby creation
    910522 Newbie
    IS DGMGRL can be configured along with manual failover also.
    or if dgmgrl confiure we cannot manage manual failover.is both can coesixts.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points