This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 6:47 AM by 968273 RSS

IE8 Running Applet demands install of back-level JRE

968273 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have an application running on IE8 on two essentially identical 64-bit Windows 7 systems. 32-bit Java 7 U7 is installed on both. One on of the systems, an applet runs fine in IE8. On the other, when the same applet runs, IE8 (I guess) decides it want Java 5 JRE installed. It downloads and installs it, but then when the applet is run again, it demands another install. Endless loop.

Control Panel doesn't even show that JRE 5 is installed. AAMOF, the Java settings in Control Panel shows that an enabled 1.7 is the only Java Runtime Version present.

I found a place that said to go to Control Panel and uncheck the Micorosoft Internet Explorer Default java for Browsers setting in Control Panlel, but that checkbox is checked, but grayed out and cannot be changed.

I am using the identical applet on both systems, yet IE acts differently. How can I convince the IE asking for JRE 5 to go ahead and use the newer veersion? Or at least use the one it repeatedly asks to be installed?

Is there a plug-in ramification here someplace? Would certianly appreciate some hand-holding on this - I'm totally lost.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: IE8 Running Applet demands install of back-level JRE
    968273 Newbie
    I think I may have found a partial answer to this. The script contains this code:

document.writeln('<object classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" width="400" height="200" name="uploadApplet" codebase="http://java.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jinstall-1_5-windows-i586.cab#Version=5,0,0,7">');

I'm guessing this is where the demand for the 1.5 JRE is coming from?

But then I have a question regarding my other PC - it's running this same script, and Control Panel shows only Java 7 Update 7 installed. How come the applet runs ok there? Is there some setting that says to ignore the codebase argument as shown above?
  • 2. Re: IE8 Running Applet demands install of back-level JRE
    968273 Newbie
    I think I may have found a partial answer to this. The script contains this code:

document.writeln('<object classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" width="400" height="200" name="uploadApplet" codebase="http://java.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jinstall-1_5-windows-i586.cab#Version=5,0,0,7">');

But then I have a question regarding my other PC - it's running this same script, and Control Panel shows only Java 7 Update 7 installed. How come the applet runs ok there? Is there some setting that says to ignore the codebase argument as shown above?
  • 3. Re: IE8 Running Applet demands install of back-level JRE
    968273 Newbie

But then I have a question regarding my other PC - it's running this same script, and Control Panel shows only Java 7 Update 7 installed. How come the applet runs ok there?

Or stated differently, why does one system require the install of Java 1.5, while the other does not?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points