This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 10:22 AM by ekrengel RSS

Problem of detecting Powerpath Storage in OVM Manager 3.0.3

cybersony Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi there,

I managed to detect the EMC SAN Disk in OVM manager by using multipath tool, but failed to detect the disks by using PowerPath.

OVM Manager 3.0.3
OVM server 3.0.3
EMC VMAX SAN Storage
PowerPath 5.6.0 for OVS 3.0

Does anyone know how to detect the Powerpath disk? Please help..thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Problem of detecting Powerpath Storage in OVM Manager 3.0.3
    xiaodi Newbie
    hi ..

powerpath for linux 5.6.x is not support oracle vm 3.0.x , maybe next release oracle vm 3.x . ref to emc document

you able to install powerpath on oracle vm server but vm manager cant detected the san disk by /dev/emcpower* ....
  • 2. Re: Problem of detecting Powerpath Storage in OVM Manager 3.0.3
    727179 Newbie
    I do not think EMC will ever come up with a PowerPath package for OVM. Competes directly with their VmWare.
    Asked for it so many time and in several EMC events. Still being ignored.

Since I use EMC SANs though (CX3 and CX4) I install the NaviHostAgent so the server can communicate with the SAN.

For OVM 3.0.3, I install NaviHostAgent-Linux-64-x86-en_US-6.29.5.0.66-1.x86_64.rpm and then configured the agent in /etc/Navisphere. Works well. This will now allow me to connect to the SAN and acquire the disks assigned to the server. ( This is assuming that the server can communicate with the SAN on the storage pathways, ie.. fiber channel/iscsi zoning, etc)

multipath -l will show the disks, provided the daemon multipathd is up and running.

CORRECTION: Just found out that EMC HAS issued Powerpath for OVM3. I will be trying it out soon.

UPDATE: Does not install on OVM Server 3.1.1. Will try it on OVM server 3.0.3 next.

Edited by: vitugv on Jun 15, 2012 7:58 PM
  • 3. Re: Problem of detecting Powerpath Storage in OVM Manager 3.0.3
    ekrengel Newbie
    Did you ever get this to work? Not having powerpath is really killing us when we have path failovers. OVM server basically just flips out and we need to reboot the server when this happens.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points