This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 2:32 AM by FrankBohlken RSS

4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions

ApexSMC Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Excellent work devs on 4.2! Like fine wine this product only improves with age.

These are two separate questions that I came away from OOW with:

1) Theme 25 - Responsive blue is neat, and I'm wondering if anyone else considers this the new "standard" theme to develop in. All I see are the benefits of using this theme for ALL my applications (build once, run on any device), but are there drawbacks to using the responsive theme? Perhaps something a traditional desktop theme can do that responsive cannot? Theme 25 even seems superior for Desktop use as screen sizes are not always uniform from cube to cube.

2) Mobile APEX development is an exciting concept, but the issue came up of how to access a company Intranet from a mobile device. Two solutions that were suggested were to use VPN or to use a cloud service to host your applications. I was wondering if there are any other possible solutions. If a company-wide wifi is available then shouldn't a connected tablet be able to access the company Intranet?
  • 1. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    Patrick Wolf Employee ACE
    Hi,
    1) Theme 25 - Responsive blue is neat, and I'm wondering if anyone else considers this the new "standard" theme to develop in. All I see are the benefits of using this theme for ALL my applications (build once, run on any device), but are there drawbacks to using the responsive theme? Perhaps something a traditional desktop theme can do that responsive cannot? Theme 25 even seems superior for Desktop use as screen sizes are not always uniform from cube to cube.
    we consider the responsive theme 25 as the "standard" theme you should use for new applications. Not just because it will adapt to different screen sizes and devices, but also because it's fully DIV based which allows a UI designer much more control how the UI should actually look like. With the previous and a little bit outdated HTML table based approach for layouting fields, UI designers sometimes struggled.
    2) Mobile APEX development is an exciting concept, but the issue came up of how to access a company Intranet from a mobile device. Two solutions that were suggested were to use VPN or to use a cloud service to host your applications. I was wondering if there are any other possible solutions. If a company-wide wifi is available then shouldn't a connected tablet be able to access the company Intranet?
    It really depends on your environment. If you only need the application inhouse, a company-wide wifi should be fine. If you have to access your application on the road, you either need a VPN tunnel to your corporate intranet or your IT stuff could also configure your server running APEX to be externally accessible. Note: I wouldn't make the server directly accessible, instead I would setup some Apache reverse proxy solution to shield your APEX database server from direct access from the internet. The best would be to talk with your IT network admin.

Regards
    Patrick
    -----------
    My Blog: http://www.inside-oracle-apex.com
    APEX Plug-Ins: http://apex.oracle.com/plugins
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/patrickwolf
  • 2. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    aracila Newbie
    Hi,

Well I am a little bit disappointed, to be honest. New 25 Theme is great and amassing BUT, and the BUT is huge!
    On some screen resolution I ( and that means my customers ) loosing about 20% of the screen on the left and right sides. Plus the buttons, tabs, headers, titles ... are too big and take too much space on the screens, additional 20% of wasting space.
    As a result: Where I was able to put 3 regions on the screen now come only 2, my customers need to click more buttons , I need to create more pages: result - MORE bugs, more problems, less comfortable.
    I wish i could tell to APEX do not leave some much space on the sides :(

Andrei
  • 3. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    ShakeebR Explorer
    Hi Andrei,

Sounds to me like you are using a page template optimized for having a left and right sidebars. Try changing your page template to one without these side bar columns (such as "One Level Tabs - No Sidebar") and see if that helps your issue.

If this does not solve your issue, would you please upload a screenshot or send me a link to your application that I can take a look?

When designing Theme 25, we tried to make it work for a wide variety of devices and screen resolutions so that it makes the most optimal use of space. The theme will snap at several points to have as little whitespace on the sides as possible. The snapping points are:

320 (Mobile Portrait)
    480 (Mobile Landscape)
    768-960 (Tablet Portrait)
    1024 (Tablet Landscape)
    1280 (Desktop at 1280px wide, typical laptop resolution)
    1440 (Desktop at 1440px wide, 15in laptop resolution)
    1680 (Desktop at 1680px wide, typical 17in )
    1980 (Desktop at 1920px wide, HD, typical 22in monitor)
    2560 (Desktop at 2560px wide, typical 27in+ monitor)

Best,
    Shakeeb
  • 4. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    aracila Newbie
    Hi, Thanks for the answer. I a using this template already. But I found everything ok on our 22" standard screens with 1680x1050 resolutions.
    I have problem with my 21" 4:3 professional screen, but this is not an issue.
    Most important is to have end users happy :)

Unfortunately I do have another "complain" from my boss, and the complains about colors and backgrounds.
    Till now I was using Topaz 4, Which is from my point of view the most balanced and relaxing for eyes theme.
    Now my users screaming: "Why is so white? Why is sow blurry and tiny?"

I am looking all day and trying to find the solution to change Gray color you are using in this theme to real Black one for all text, do you know where I can do it, also the background from Withe to more relaxing Beige?

Is there any options to change globally the color in the theme?

Thanks a lot,
    Andrei
  • 5. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    JensMarre Explorer
    Andrei,

as always, when it comes to adapting the layout, inspect the element in your browser (e.g. with Firefox / Firebug, right click -> inspect element) to find out which style class you need to overwrite. If necessary inspect the elements in the DOM-tree further up.

In the case of your background color I came up with the following change
    div#uBodyContainer {
        background-color: #EFEFEF; /* or any other color */
    }
    For the text colors, there are probably several rules to overwrite. Keep in mind that decreasing the saturation for text colors is quite common in webdesign.

Jens
  • 6. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    aracila Newbie
    Thanks! Looking into it!
    Andrei
  • 7. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    Omar M Sawalhah Newbie
    Hi Shakeeb,
    Is there any way I can control these screen resolution, in terms of css.I have a web site and It seems that the width is more than I want, on the right side Iam missing about 100 pixels.

Regards,
    Omar
  • 8. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    JensMarre Explorer
    Hi Omar,

the way I see it is, that you´d have to overwrite "/i/themes/theme_25/css/responsive_grid.css". In there you have all kinds of css media queries of type
    @media screen and (min-width: 1260px) and (max-width: 1419px){
         .apex_grid_container{width:1248px}

.apex_span_1{width:92px}

.apex_span_2{width:196px}

.apex_span_3{width:300px}
    }
    The resolutions in the media queries are those that Shakeeb has mentioned. You will need to adapt those to your needs.

Yet I am wondering why the existing rules don´t work in your case. Best would be to, as always, upload a sample app to apex.oracle.com and see what the exact problem is.

Jens
  • 9. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    740794 Newbie
    Thanks Jens,
    I will give a shot, but I thought if I can choose an option from page Templates if I need to make it fixed, with an option to have responsive.

Omar
  • 10. Re: 4.2!  Responsive theme & Mobile access questions
    FrankBohlken Newbie
    Hi,

First i would say very nice themes and idea to make a reponsive theme (25).
    In my company they want to use this concept for desktop and tablets.
    So also with devices with touchscreen.
    It would be very nice to use in the theme 25 the following objects: sliders, date pickers (HTML5) and other jquery mobile objects.
    When i try to use those objects looks like they are not supported.
    When i use theme 50 (jquery mobile smartphone) these objects are supported.
    I wondered why and is there an easy workaround.
    Think to use plugins is not the way.

Thanxs

Greetings Frank

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points