This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 17, 2012 2:08 AM by Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) RSS

ASM installation failure from Oracle GRID under Windows 7 64 bit

948656 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am a rookie..I am running Oracle database 11gR2 running on a Windows 7 64 bit system.
I am implementing ASM onto my system solely for learning purposes
The implementation of ASM has changed between database releases 11gR1 and 11gR2 such that it is no longer configured locally but is now implemented from within Oracle GRID. Unfortunately, the book I am using to study my OCP from was written at the time of 11gR1 so I can no longer follow its instructions to create and configure ASM. Instead of using DBCA I now need to use ASMCA to configure ASM.
As a preliminary requirement I successfully installed Oracle Grid and configured it to run on my standalone server.
I created two partitions on my harddrive ...... drive G: and drive H: with intent of using them as my ASM disks. 45 Gig and 50 gig in size respectively formatted with the NTFS filesystem.

I ran ASMCA in an attempt to create an ASM instance
I specified these partition drives '\\.\G:' and '\\.\H:' in the disk discovery path which were successfully picked up.

However when ASMCA executed the creation process after some time it failed with the following message:
One or more diskgroup(s) creation failed as below:
DiskGroup mydisks creation failed with the following message:
ORA-15018: diskgroup cannot be created
ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [17090], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], [], []

Check C:\app\peter\cfgtoollogs\asmca\asmca-12101712AM0558.log for details.

Which I did and found many things

Thread-40] [ 2012-10-17 00:25:05.723 EST ] [UsmcaLogger.logInfo:141] Oradim Command : C:\app\11.2.0\grid\bin\oradim.exe -new -asmsid +ASM -startmode manual -srvcstart demand -spfile
[Thread-40] [ 2012-10-17 00:25:05.723 EST ] [UsmcaLogger.logEntry:113] Entering oracle.sysman.assistants.usmca.util.UsmcaUtil Method : executeCommand
[Thread-40] [ 2012-10-17 00:25:05.723 EST ] [UsmcaLogger.logInfo:141] Command: C:\app\11.2.0\grid\bin\oradim.exe -new -asmsid +ASM -startmode manual -srvcstart demand -spfile
[Thread-40] [ 2012-10-17 00:25:07.254 EST ] [UsmcaLogger.logInfo:141] Instance created.

Ok. As above the ASM instance appeared to have been successfully created so as part of my investigative process to confirm what the script actually did successfully execute I attempted to log into the ASM instance to see how far it would get. It fails with the following result
#############################################################################
C:\Windows\system32>set ORACLE_SID=+ASM
C:\Windows\system32>sqlplus sys as sysasm
SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Wed Oct 17 10:16:36 2012
Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
Enter user-name:
##############################################################################

I checked Windows Task Manager
There is an OracleOHService and it is running

LISTENER is running ie the local listener running on port 1521 that was originally created with a previous basic stand alone installation of the Oracle 11gR2 database . (ie before I installed Oracle GRID). No other listeners are running.
Can t see any evidence of any ASM service on Windows Task manager started/stopped or otherwise. Neither can I see evidence of a CSS service.

The log file that was generated is large I am not clear on what I should be looking for in order to find clues as to how I might manually resolve this problem and possibly 'salvage' the installation. Any advice would be appreciated.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points