3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 12:41 AM by 804738 RSS

Performance testing metrics

Hello,

My client wants a performance testing done on their EBS application(on linux) and they would like provide them with metrics related to I/O performance. Client wants to move the application to a better storage media , if the current i/O performance is not good enough. Which OLT metrics would give me the measurements needed to assess the I/O performance? Please help.

Thanks,

Ram
        • 1. Re: Performance testing metrics
          Hi
          From the doc (OLTLoadTestingServerStatsGuide.pdf)
          % Busy Time - Percentage of time disk is busy. If high, possible disk bottleneck or low
          memory.
          Queue Length - Average disk queue length. If high, possible disk bottleneck or low
          memory.

But much better than that, you should ask system engineers how they can get metrics from a storage device or from the O/S using a commandline or SNMP MIB.
          Then you can use Virtual Agent to execute a specific command line and retrieve the result or use SNMP to get the MIB metric.

Hope it can help
          JB
          • 2. Re: Performance testing metrics
            Thanks JB
            • 3. Re: Performance testing metrics
              Hi JB,

Metrics that you mentioned above ( queue length and %busy time of disk), can only be measured for windows operating system. When I selected DISK related metrics under Server stats configuration screen, it was prompting only for windows system Userid/password and domain name.

As my requiremement is to monitor the disk performance of a linux server, I configured only the following metrics for my linux server - %disk space used,disk size,disk space available,disk space in use,cpu idle time,cpu system time,cpu user time and free memory. These measurements dont give me disk busy time or queue length. Would appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks

Edited by: 801735 on Oct 17, 2012 10:12 PM

Edited by: 801735 on Oct 17, 2012 10:36 PM