This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2012 6:02 PM by Levi-Pereira RSS

Is a rolling upgrade possible?

John Spencer Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
I have recently inherited a two node RAC cluster (10.2.0.3 if it matters) running Red Hat Linux 2.6.18-194.17.1.el5 on Itanium chips. The ocfs2 rpm installed is ocfs2-2.6.18-194.17.1.el5-1.4.7-1.el5 and the oracleasm rpm installed is oracleasm-2.6.18-194.17.1.el5-2.0.5-1.el5. Our sys admins want to patch the OS to kernel-2.6.18-308.8.1.el5-2.0.5-1.el5.ia64.rpm.

Can the patching be done in a rolling fashion? That is, can we shutdown node 1, apply the kernel rpm, the ocfs2 rpm, and the oracleasm rpm, then start node 1 and then stop node 2 for the patching, or will we need to stop node 2 before re-starting node 1?

Note 1072552.1 on MOS seems to indicate that "mixed" version operating systems are supported for a brief period during the patching process, but I am unclear as to whether the same is true for the ocfs2 and oracleasm rpms.

Is it actually neccessary to patch the ocfs2 and oracleasm? The rpms available seem to be the same versions of both (i.e 1.4.7-1 for ocfs2 and 2.0.5-1 for oracleasm), except for the kernel version.

Finally, are there any good links out there for the process? Almost everything I can find is either related to Clusterware (which apparently started in 11) or to installing and configuring ocfs2 and oracleasm. There does not seem to be anything about applying the rpms to an existing install.

This cluster is going to be replaced fairly shortly, so I don't want to get too fancy, but I do need to keep the sys admins happy :-)

Thanks
John
  • 1. Re: Is a rolling upgrade possible?
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    It depends on the patch ... read the patch documentation.

Whether patching can be done as a rolling patch is determined solely by the patch being applied.
  • 2. Re: Is a rolling upgrade possible?
    585179 Expert
    Hi John,

Excerpt from MoS notes 1391807

+*<moderator edit - deleted MOS Doc content - pl do not post such content - it is a violation of your Support agreement>*+

That said the safest method is upgrade the kernel on all nodes at the same time wihtout rolling.

Hope it helps

Cheers
  • 3. Re: Is a rolling upgrade possible?
    John Spencer Oracle ACE
    Fiedi:

Thanks, that MOS note helps quite a bit, certainly on the procedure side. I'm still trying to reconcile the shut everything down in the note you posted with the it may be possible in note 1072552.1. Perhaps it is because of the change in ocfs2 and oracleasm.

Thanks
    John
  • 4. Re: Is a rolling upgrade possible?
    John Spencer Oracle ACE
    Dan:

I am not actually planning on applying an Oracle patch, just the rpms. I do not see any patch documentation for those anywhere. Am I missing something?

John
  • 5. Re: Is a rolling upgrade possible?
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Can the patching be done in a rolling fashion? That is, can we shutdown node 1, apply the kernel rpm, the ocfs2 rpm, and the oracleasm rpm, then start node 1 and then stop node 2 for the patching, or will we need to stop node 2 before re-starting node 1?
    I didn't find any doc about it, but I believe you can patch your OS in a rolling fashion manner, since nothing change on version of ASMLib or OCFS2, you will need to update your ASMLib and OCFS2 due kernel support.
    Is it actually neccessary to patch the ocfs2 and oracleasm? The rpms available seem to be the same versions of both (i.e 1.4.7-1 for ocfs2 and 2.0.5-1 for oracleasm), except for the kernel version.
    OCFS2 Kernel Upgrade.
    Red Hat's RHEL and Oracle's EL distributions, the kernel component is available as a separate package. This package needs to be installed when upgrading the kernel.
    In the distributions in which the kernel component is provided separately, care should be taken to install the appropriate package. This is not to say that installing an incorrect package will cause harm. It won't. But it will not work.

https://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/v1.4/ocfs2-1_4-usersguide.pdf

ASMLib Kernel Driver
    The Oracle Linux ASMLib (herein "ASMLib") is composed of two pieces. The first piece is the actual ASMLib library. This is a userspace library loaded by Oracle at Oracle startup. The second is a kernel driver that is loaded into the OS kernel at system boot. The kernel driver is specific to the OS kernel.
    The system administrator must install the proper kernel driver for the currently running kernel. So, if you update your OS kernel you must update your ASMLib kernel driver too.
    Finally, are there any good links out there for the process? Almost everything I can find is either related to Clusterware (which apparently started in 11) or to installing and configuring ocfs2 and oracleasm. There does not seem to be anything about applying the rpms to an existing install.
    Here step by step:
    *How To Upgrade ASMLib Kernel Driver as Part of Kernel Upgrade? [ID 1391807.1]*

*Upgrade of OCFS2 on EL4/5 by example [ID 975913.1]*

Edited by: Levi Pereira on Oct 17, 2012 10:34 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points