Our company has the current setup:
- O/S: Windows 2000 server
- Softare: Tuxedo Client 8.0
- O/S: Solaris 9 version 5.9
- Software: Tuxedo Server 8.0
The issue is that the Windows 2000 server is soon no longer supported and we are planning to upgrade that to Windows 2008 Server 64-bit. Checking the compatibility tables here (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17973_01/platforms/tuxedoplatforms/tuxplats/tuxplats.html), we need to upgrade Tuxedo Client to 10gR3 as well.
Do we also need to upgrade the Tuxedo Server 8.0 to 10gR3 from the server side? Checking the interoperability tables here (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E15261_01/tuxedo/docs11gr1/interop/iopcoexist.html), it seems that Client 10gR3 is compatible with Server 8.0. However, from the previous compatibility tables, it suggests that Solaris 9 is not compatible with Tuxedo 10gR3 (but it doesn't say whether it is not compatible with Tuxedo "server" or "client", or maybe both in general).
If anyone has experience in that, please let me know.
Thanks for your advice in advance!
First of all, Tuxedo 8.0 is past its end of life, so only extended support is available for it at this point. Although you don't say, I'm assuming the client system(s) are using the workstation protocol? In general all versions of Tuxedo workstation clients work with the same or later versions of Tuxedo server (the reverse is probably true as well.) So to get a supported configuration, you need to move to at least Tuxedo 8.1 as it is the oldest standardly supported version. My personal recommendation is that you upgrade to at least Tuxedo 11gR1 or Tuxedo 12cR1 if you are upgrading your operating system versions. Also, those tables aren't compatibility tables, but tables of what we've certified/tested to work. Again in general Tuxedo has provided extremely good compatibility across releases. Is there a reason you aren't going to upgrade to the latest versions of Tuxedo and Solaris?
Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
I agree that it would be ideal if Tuxedo Client/Server is also upgraded to the latest version for better support. However, it is business decision (budget/timelines) not to upgrade Tuxedo at the moment (also also some software dependency to Tuxedo). I'm sure sooner or later we will upgrade Tuxedo along with other software which works closely with Tuxedo.
Thanks for your clarifications on the tables that I mentioned. Glad to hear that the compatability is good.