6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 11:58 PM by 751811 RSS

upgrading from 10g2 stanalone to 11g2 RAC

Hi I am not sure if this is the right place for this but I am doing a upgrade from 10g2 standalone (with out ASM) to 11g2 2 node cluster (on ASM) and the database is some what 1TB of the size. My problem is if I do a export and import the live system need to be down for over an a day. is there a better way of doing this and how

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
        • 1. Re: upgrading from 10g2 stanalone to 11g2 RAC
          alvaromiranda
          Hi there.

This is just my point of view, being more an oracle apps dba.

A. Install 11.2 on the same box and upgrade the DB to 11.2
          B. Setup a dataguard to the RAC
          C. Switch Over

Will be clean, and you will do one clear step at the time.

Alvaro.
          • 2. Re: upgrading from 10g2 stanalone to 11g2 RAC
            phaeus
            Hello,
            also you can do that what Oracle says if you want to migrate for example to exadata.

Use Oracle Golden Gate to replicate your data. But all if this options are extra cost.

regards
            Peter
            • 3. Re: upgrading from 10g2 stanalone to 11g2 RAC
              Hi Guys, than you for the reply, the golden gate is bit off the price and we do use oracle EE so data guard option is tempting. my worry is if some thing to go wrong while doing this on the live it self only options will be to activate the DR I dont want this risk as of now, please advice on below

1. using datapump with parallel=X and cluster=y can speedup
              2. is there a way to use RMAN for the purpose if so would appreciate for some instruction and precautions (URL to some resources)
              3. Will data guard support different platforms (10g is on redhat 5 and 11g2 is on 6.3)

Thanks and Best Regards

Edited by: user4433949 on Oct 17, 2012 11:44 PM
              • 4. Re: upgrading from 10g2 stanalone to 11g2 RAC
                Hello,

rman is a good option

here is an example, similar to what you are trying to accomplish. This user also migrated to ASM.

Much of the work on the new db can be done ahead of time, I mean before the final cutover.

http://www.pythian.com/news/3653/howto-oracle-cross-platform-migration-with-minimal-downtime/
                • 5. Re: upgrading from 10g2 stanalone to 11g2 RAC
                  alvaromiranda
                  Hello,

I will insist a bit on the do one task at the time.

Single instance, 10.2
                  You install 11.2
                  make sure the database instance is on oratab
                  run dbua, this will ask you to take a bakacup. Here you have your restore point.
                  Once the DB is on 11.2, setting up dataguard is online, creating the standby is online.. you can open the stand by as real time query (read only) or convert to snapshot database (Read Write), then you can switch back to be a physical standby, and the system automagically roll back to the restore point and apply logs

Pretty safe.

Clone the 10.2, and do a test, is fair simple.

I think there is a way to use an rman from 10.2 into 11.2 (rac in your case) then do the upgrade.. but I think will take more downtime, and you won't know where's the problem if any.

Alvaro
                  • 6. Re: upgrading from 10g2 stanalone to 11g2 RAC
                    Thank you Guys for all the help extended, let me go through my options and do a test run

Best Regards