I have a 2 node RAC environment (18.104.22.168) where each node has there own local Grid_home and RDBMS_home.
I am installing a Rolling Bundle Patch with OPatch in this environment. The installation document says that "The order of patching in RAC install is GRID_HOME, then RDBMS_HOME" so i did the following.
1. stopped all oracle related services on node1
2. set oracle_home=<Grid_home>
3. applied the opatch
4. opatch succeeded on node1 and it says "The node 'NODE2' will be patched next... Is the node ready for patching? y
Here i am bit confused.
1. Should i shutdown the oracle services in Node2 and continue to patch the Grid_home ? If yes then the DB will be completely down for user access. This defeats the purpose of rolling mode which says there is no downtime.
2. Should i patch the RDBMS_home on node1 , start all the oracle services on node1 , stop the oracle services on node2 and then resume the opatch on node1 which is waiting to patch the Grid_home on node2 ?
I am installing Oracle® Database Server Version 22.214.171.124 Patch 11 Bundle Patch Update (14613223)
Release 126.96.36.199 for Microsoft Windows (x64)
The installation says to Follow these steps:
Please note that this patch is RAC rolling upgradable for GRID, and RDBMS homes.
Stop the Oracle services only in the home where the patch is being applied.
The order of patching in RAC install is GRID_HOME, then RDBMS_HOME
If yes, maybe you forget the -local....
However no worries. You can either startup the clusterstack + db on the node. then patch on GI on node2. However in this case you will have to patch RDBMS separately. Which then again, needs another "switch".
Or simply choose [n] to tell OPatch second node is not ready yet.
14613223 patch install instruction did not mention about opatch -local option.
Here is what i followed and completed the installation successfully.
1. Shutdown all oracle services on node 1
2. applied opatch for grid home and then rdbms home using "opatch apply -local" on node1
3. Started all oracle services on node 1
4. Shutdown all oracle services on node 2
5. applied opatch for gridhome and then rdbms home using "opatch apply -local" on node 2
6. Started all oracle services on node 2
7. executed post installation steps on the DB (@catwinbundle.sql & @utlrp.sql )