This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 3:15 PM by 969097 RSS

Problem installing OracleStudio 12.3?

969097 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, ALL,
I just installed recent OracleSolaris on x86 Intel. Now I'm trying to install DevStudio (OracleStudio).
I downloaded latest release (SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-bin.tar.bz2), unpack it and following the instruction at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24457_01/html/E21988/gemyt.html#scrolltoc trying to install.

However I'm failing in the first step: there is no "solarisstudio.sh" file anywhere in that archive.

Could someone please help.

Thank you.
  • 1. Re: Problem installing OracleStudio 12.3?
    ChrisQuenelle Newbie
    What files did you see in the archive?
  • 2. Re: Problem installing OracleStudio 12.3?
    969097 Newbie
    Chie@LearningRightSolaris:~/Downloads/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-bin$ ls -la
    total 80
    drwxr-xr-x   4 Chie     staff          8 Oct 17 11:35 .
    drwxr-xr-x   4 Chie     staff          5 Oct 17 15:56 ..
    -r-xr-xr-x   1 Chie     staff      16969 Dec  5  2011 install_patches.sh
    -r--r--r--   1 Chie     staff       5897 Dec  5  2011 OSS12.3_README-tar-ja.html
    -r--r--r--   1 Chie     staff       4400 Dec  5  2011 OSS12.3_README-tar-zh_CN.html
    -r--r--r--   1 Chie     staff       4299 Dec  5  2011 OSS12.3_README-tar.txt
    drwxr-xr-x   3 Chie     staff          3 Dec  5  2011 patches
    drwxrwxr-x  11 Chie     staff         11 Nov 16  2011 solarisstudio12.3
    Chie@LearningRightSolaris:~/Downloads/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-bin$ cd solarisstudio12.3
    Chie@LearningRightSolaris:~/Downloads/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-bin/solarisstudio12.3$ ls -la
    total 41
    drwxrwxr-x  11 Chie     staff         11 Nov 16  2011 .
    drwxr-xr-x   4 Chie     staff          8 Oct 17 11:35 ..
    drwxrwxr-x   3 Chie     staff         88 Nov 16  2011 bin
    drwxrwxr-x   4 Chie     staff          7 Nov 16  2011 include
    drwxrwxr-x   2 Chie     staff          5 Nov 16  2011 LEGAL
    drwxrwxr-x  17 Chie     staff         44 Nov 14  2011 lib
    drwxrwxr-x  13 Chie     staff         14 Nov 13  2011 man
    drwxrwxr-x   5 Chie     staff         38 Nov 16  2011 OIC
    drwxrwxr-x   8 Chie     staff          8 Nov 14  2011 prod
    drwxrwxr-x   7 Chie     staff         18 Nov 14  2011 READMEs
    drwxrwxr-x   3 Chie     staff          3 Nov 13  2011 share
    Chie@LearningRightSolaris:~/Downloads/SolarisStudio12.3-solaris-x86-bin/solarisstudio12.3$ cd ~
    Chie@LearningRightSolaris:~$ find . -name solarisstudio.sh
    Chie@LearningRightSolaris:~$ 
    Thank you.
  • 3. Re: Problem installing OracleStudio 12.3?
    ChrisQuenelle Newbie
    It looks like you downloaded the "plain tarball" form of the binaries. This does have an installer because it contains the binaries directly. You should be able to run the tools directly from the directory that you have already created. This form of the binaries does not use native packages (SYSV or IPS) so it cannot have patches applied to it. If you don't care about patches for now, then go ahead and use what you have. If you have a support contract and you are expecting to install patches later, then you should get the binaries a different way.

For Solaris 10 (or RH/OL Linux) there is a different tarball which contains an installer (this should match the instructions you were trying to follow).

For Solaris 11 there are instructions to hook up to a network-based IPS repository.

I can help you with pointers and more details if you tell me which direction you're going to take.
  • 4. Re: Problem installing OracleStudio 12.3?
    969097 Newbie
    Hi, Chris,
    All I did was:

1. Went to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/downloads/index.html
    2. Accepted the license.
    3. In the table below the license agreement on the cell (row 2 - Solaris 11 OS on SPARC and x86, cell 3 - tarfile) downloaded the "Tarfile on Solaris x86".

Basically I am looking to have a native Solaris toolchain for the development in C++ (C++ compiler, debugger and IDE). I am an independent developer and don't have a contract, however it would be nice to have patches from time to time.

So all in all, I believe that the instructions on the page I referenced on the beginning of the thread are no longer useful and needs to be updated. Which means I discovered a bug without even using the product. LOL!

Now being serious I'd like to do an installation of the IDE so that everything will be in place (IDE - in the /bin directory, and accessible thru the GNOME "Development" menu, all libraries - in the lib folder, etc) with the possibility to get updates and patches if it does not require me paying for that. If it does then I guess I can live with just starting the IDE manually every time I develop something. And in this case I will have to modify the $PATH variable of my ~/.bash to point to the appropriate directory, right? But I prefer to go the route 1.

Thank you.
  • 5. Re: Problem installing OracleStudio 12.3?
    ChrisQuenelle Newbie
    If you look at the two columns, the column on the left are for "native package installers" and the column on the right is for tarballs (called "tarfile" in the table).
    The first box at the top of each column explains the differences. The table is complicated and kind of confusing, but I think it's accurate.

At the current time, Oracle does not allow patches to be downloaded unless you have a paid support contract. So there is not really any benefit from you repeating the download process to get a native-package installation.

You implied that you're using Solaris 11. The instructions for getting official binaries on Solaris 11 are in the table:
    Visit Oracle Certificate Requests to request an Oracle Solaris Studio certificate - http://pkg-register.oracle.com
    Per instructions at site, download and install certificate and key on your system
    Per instructions at site, add the solarisstudio publisher and install Oracle Solaris Studio 12.3
    If you don't want to update your PATH variable, then that's the right approach.
  • 6. Re: Problem installing OracleStudio 12.3?
    969097 Newbie
    Thank you.
    As you said the instructions in the table are confusing but they ARE accurate.

It would've been better if the instructions and the links was not in the table (especially for beginners, like me). But that's just my IMHO.

Anyway thank you for the help.

Installing now....

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points