This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 8:49 PM by Michael Armstrong-Smith RSS

Weblogic Admin Server will not launch

Michael Armstrong-Smith Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
Hello
I have just completed the install of Discoverer Plus on a Windows 7, 64 bit machine and it was all running fine. I could access the weblogic console at 7001 and I could run Discoverer.

As a test I rebooted the machine and now I cannot access the Weblogic Console to start the WLS server for Discoverer.

Here are my step so far:

1. Start Server Listener - no problem
2. Start the database - no problem
3. From Start I located entry for Start Weblogic Server - WLS_Discco - runs fast and appears to work
4. From Services I start the nodemanager
5. Next I try to use: http:machine:7001/console - the same URL that worked earlier and all I get is Could not connect

I must be missing a step. Any ideas on why it will not restart following the reboot when it was all working fine?

Michael
  • 1. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle Expert
    Hi Mike,

Can you check where this Discovere has deployed on which server is it on managed server or Admin Server.

make sure that when you start Admin server using %Domain_Home% / bin / startWeblogic.cmd file it will start Admin server which will run by default port as 7001.

Once you are sure that Admin Server is up and running then you can start console using http://localhost:7001/console (localhost is optional one you can put your IP address ).

Once it got started then check whether machine is created for your managed server or not if not please create it and configure nodemanager details and monitor Nodemanager whether it is reachable or not.

Once it is reachable then you start managed server.

Let me know if you need any further help on this.

Regards,
    Kal
  • 2. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Kal
    I tried starting weblogic from the command line from the folder you suggested. All it did was reply with \Common was expected at this time

It did not appear to start weblogic and my logs did not get updated

Michael
  • 3. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Mike,

can you put the message which gives there.

put complete stack trace here.

Regards,
    Kal
  • 4. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Kal
    If you send me your email I can send you the logs. My email address is in my profile.

How do I do a stack trace?

My suspicion is that the x86 Program Files entries in the Windows 7 path might be upsetting things. As an FYI, here is my path:

C:\Oracle\Middleware\as_1\bin;C:\Program Files\java\jdk1.6.0_35\bin;C:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin;c:\oracle\BIToolsHome_1\bin;C:\oracle\BIToolsHome_1\jre\1.4.2\bin\client;C:\oracle\BIToolsHome_1\jre\1.4.2\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Oracle\Middleware\as_1\opmn\bin;C:\Oracle\Middleware\as_1\opmn\lib;C:\Oracle\Middleware\as_1\perl\bin

Maybe we can move some of the other entries around?

Michael
  • 5. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Mike,

I know why such strange behavior happening with Managed server [ wls Disco server ].

Make sure that you had created a machine for the managed server in weblogic and try to configure Nodemanager details with in and also check whether it is in reachable mode or not.

Once it is in reachable mode then it will start Managed server without any doubt.

Currently its status is showing as inactive.

Regards,
    Kal
  • 6. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Kal
    After working with you this evening I can conclude that what we uncovered is that there appears to be an issue when running the Node Manager as a service from within Windows 7.

The workaround is to start both Weblogic and Node Manager from the command line.

To start Weblogic from the command line I followed these steps:

1. Open a cmd window
    2. Navigate to OH\middleware\user_projects\domains\classicdomain\bin
    3. Run startweblogic.cmd
    4. Provide username - usually weblogic
    5. Provide password
    6. Leave CMD window open

Next, to start Node Manager I did the following:

1. Open a cmd window
    2. Navigate to OH\middleware\wlserver_10.3\server\bin
    3. Run startnodemanager.cmd
    4. Provide username - again usually weblogic
    5. Provide password
    6. Leave CMD window open

Should now be able to launch weblogic console and start / stop servers

Please let me know if I have missed anything
    Michael
  • 7. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Mike,

While start of Nodemanager through command we need not give any username and password.

it will directly start on port 5556 with ssl as default mode.

Make sure before start of managed server through console that configured machine is reachable to nodemanager or not.

Once it is reachable then we can make it start without any doubt.

Regards,
    Kal
  • 8. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Kal
    Interesting because my node manager always prompts for the username and password when run from CMD. Could this be a Windows 7 thing too?

Michael
  • 9. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Mike,

its not a Nodemanager which prompts for username and password but it is only your Admin Server and managed server while staring thorugh command prompt.

I would say better include following add boot.properties files and start again it will never prompt for username and password.

steps

1. goto %Domain_Home% / servers / AdminServer /

2. Check whether you have folder with name "security" if not then create new folder with name security.

3. get in the security folder and create a file name called boot.properties

4. give following way in clear text mode.

username=<weblogic username>
    password=<weblogic password>

5. try to restart AdminServer again once it accept this boot.properties file it will change details from clear text to encrypted way.

6. This remain same to managed server if we are trying to start through startManagedWeblogic command or else if we are trying to start through Nodemanager not required.

Regards,
    Kal
  • 10. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Kal
    Creating a boot.properties file did the trick and Weblogic no longer prompts for a username and password.

As you said would happen the file is now encrypted or at least the entries within are.

If I wanted to change these in the future do I just re-create un-encrypted entries and let it go ahead and encrypt them?

I can also confirm that Node Manager did not prompt for either a username or a password.

Many thanks indeed
    Michael
  • 11. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Hi Mike,

For next time you need to pass simple clear text instead of the encrypted one. that will solves your issues further.

Regards,
    Kal
  • 12. Re: Weblogic Admin Server will not launch
    Great help from Kal, all of his answers together gave me the right answer

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points