This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 12:11 AM by kgronau RSS

about Oracle Heterogeneous Services and Oracle Gateway

JoeSSI Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I am very new at this topic, I want to know:
1)Oracle Heterogeneous Services and Oracle Gateway same or not?Need license or not?
2)If want Creating Database Link from Oracle 11g to Sybase AS 15.5 Using Oracle Heterogeneous Services what drivers should I install from my pc(windows 7) and from my server(Linux red hat 5)?please give me link for this
3)Is there any link Step by step to configure odbc until creating dblink?
4)what more convenient, connect sybase from Oracle Heterogeneous Services or Oracle Gateway?

Thank you so much for your help

Regards

JOE
  • 1. Re: about Oracle Heterogeneous Services and Oracle Gateway
    kgronau Guru
    Joe,
    let copy/paste your questions and comment inline:

1)Oracle Heterogeneous Services and Oracle Gateway same or not?Need license or not?
    Let me first clarify one thing, heterogeneous services is the generic mechanism in the Oracle database used by all gateways. The product you are talking about is the Database Gateway for ODBC or the Database Gateway for Sybase.
    The Database Gateway for ODBC is available for Linux and Windows. It is the free product which does not require an Oracle license. The license is included in your database license. It is a generic gateway which allows you to connect with any suitable 3rd party ODBC driver to a matching foreign database. As it is a generic connectivity which aloows you to connect to real databases but also to MS Excel or even Text files as long as you have a suitable ODBC driver, its capability is very limited.
    The more powerful gateway is the Database Gateway for Sybase. It covers the same functionality as DG4ODBC but it allows you also to work with distributed transactions, it allows you to call remote Sybase stored procedures etc. This gateway is design for Sybase ASE connections, so it is also able to map certain Oracle functions to Sybase equivalents. This Database Gateway for Sybase is NOT for free, it requires an additional license.

2)If want Creating Database Link from Oracle 11g to Sybase AS 15.5 Using Oracle Heterogeneous Services what drivers should I install from my pc(windows 7) and from my server(Linux red hat 5)?please give me link for this
    That depends on your preferences. Both gateways are available for Linux and for Windows. When using DG4ODBC you only need to pay attention that you get a suitable 3rd party ODBC driver for this platform with the matching word size (64bit for 64bit DG4ODBC and 32bit ODBC driver for installations of DG4ODBC on 32bit platforms).
    The latest software release is currently 11.2.0.3 and it can be downloaded (and installed from scratch) from "My Oracle Support". Just open the Patches & Updates section, look for Patch 10404530: 11.2.0.3.0 PATCH SET FOR ORACLE DATABASE SERVER and make sure to choose the platform you want to use. Then check out the readme as it lists which of these download CD's contains the gateway software.
    BTW, the CD contains DG4ODBC and DG4SYBS and it is up to you to decide during the installation which product you want to use.

3)Is there any link Step by step to configure odbc until creating dblink?
    The ODBC driver installation differs from vendor to vendor and platform to platform - so we don't have a specific note how to configure the ODBC driver. This kind of question is better handled by the ODBC driver vendor.
    Regarding the set up of DG4ODBC on Windows you find suitable information in the knowledge base on My Oracle Support. Just look for:
    How to Configure DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install          [Document 466225.1]     

and for DG4SYBS:
    How to Configure DG4SYBS (Oracle Database Gateway for Sybase) on 64bit Unix (Linux, AIX, HP-UX Itanium and Solaris) Post Install          [Document 437696.1]     
    How to Setup DG4SYBS (Database Gateway for Sybase) on a 64bit Windows          [Document 1319852.1]     

4)what more convenient, connect sybase from Oracle Heterogeneous Services or Oracle Gateway?
    It really depends on your needs. DG4SYBS is surly easier to install as this gateway comes with everything you need and you do not have to find a suitable ODBC driver nor get the ODBC driver working. It is also more powerful as you can for example use triggers that replicate data changes in an Oracle database to the Sybase database within the same transaction. When you want to call Sybase stored procedures you can also do that with DG4SYBS. So it really depends on your needs.

- Klaus
  • 2. Re: about Oracle Heterogeneous Services and Oracle Gateway
    JoeSSI Newbie
    Thank you so much for the explanation,

I am going to install oracle gateway right now, can i now what different of oracle database gateway and oracle transparent gateway?

Cheers

JOE
  • 3. Re: about Oracle Heterogeneous Services and Oracle Gateway
    kgronau Guru
    Joe,
    up to release 10g the gateways were called Transparent Gateway and starting with 11g they were renamed to Database Gateway. but its functionality is almost the same.

Same for heterogeneous services for ODBC (=HSODBC) in 10g and Database gateway for ODBC (=DG4ODBC) in 11g but there's another major difference between DGoDBC and HSODBC: In the past HSODBC was only allows to be used from the Oracle Home of the Oracle database. This limitation caused often trouble when no ODBC driver was available for the platform where the Oracle database was running. Starting with 11g DG4ODBC can now be installed independently from the Oracle database into its own home or even on a separate machine which gives you more flexibility.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points