This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 11:48 AM by DrClap RSS

executing a hyperlink

824461 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

I have created a url connection which return the html of a website. Now there is a submit button in that html, How I can submit that button and get the response which JAVA
URL url = new URL("<some url>");
          URLConnection urlConn = url.openConnection();

BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(urlConn.getInputStream()));
The website does not have captcha. Also Do I need to use servlets for this requirement or from J2SE apis only I can do it.

Thanks
Abhishek
  • 1. Re: executing a hyperlink
    Kayaman Guru
    821458 wrote:
    I have created a url connection which return the html of a website. Now there is a submit button in that html, How I can submit that button and get the response which JAVA
    You need to perform a POST request on the address of the form where the submit button is.
    Also Do I need to use servlets for this requirement or from J2SE apis only I can do it.
    No you don't need servlets. You can Google for "Java POST url" or similar to find examples.
  • 2. Re: executing a hyperlink
    824461 Newbie
    Kayaman wrote:
    821458 wrote:
    You need to perform a POST request on the address of the form where the submit button
    I have requirement where after clicking submit button I have something else to send to the server. I am looking for doing things just like we do in browser.

1. Logging in a web site programatically. As suggested I can send Post request and get a HTML as an output.
    2. Now I got the html, I want to submit a button on that html.
    3. on the generated output I still want to submit one more form.

Through Post url I can post a request to a form but how can I do subsequent interaction with the server.
  • 3. Re: executing a hyperlink
    DrClap Expert
    More interaction with the server? That would just require more POST (or maybe GET) requests being sent. That's what the browser does whenever you click on a link or a button, so that's what you should do too.

You might want to consider using something like HTMLUnit which takes care of all the bookkeeping that you have to do in this web-scraping sort of scenario.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points