This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 6:50 PM by Gary Graham RSS

A great tool, but need a better icon.

968772 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Just installed the tool and tested it on Windows. It looks great. However, the application icon is kind of blurry on the desktop. Hope it will get a better icon next release.
  • 1. Re: A great tool, but need a better icon.
    Jim Smith Expert
    What version of windows and what resolution?

I use SQL Developer on a variety of platforms and the icon is no better and no worse than any other.
  • 2. Re: A great tool, but need a better icon.
    968772 Newbie
    I am using windows 7 and the version is sqldeveloper64-3.2.10.09.57. I also have SQL Developer Data Modeler installed and the icon is crystal clear, same as others on my desktop. But the SQL Developer one is so blurry compared to all the rest. There is a file icon.png in the folder having pixels 32 x 32. And I checked the same file under Data Modeler, which is 64 x 64. (I created the desktop link by creating the shortcut of the sqldeveloper.exe. I am not sure if that is the right way to do it). I wish I could upload a screenshot, but I didn't find how I can do this in this forum. Sorry for that.
  • 3. Re: A great tool, but need a better icon.
    Gary Graham Expert
    At a resolution of 1366x768, the best I can do at home, the SQL Developer icon actually looks "brighter" on both the Windows desktop and taskbar. That's with the view property set to use small or medium icons. If set to use large icons, then the Data Modeler icon is obviously much bigger on the desktop but does not affect the taskbar.

So, in my environment, the 32x32 pixel version is fine and perhaps superior. Not sure if a 64x64 version is available anywhere to extract and assign in the shortcut properties.

The key question remains unanswered: what is your screen resolution setting?
  • 4. Re: A great tool, but need a better icon.
    968772 Newbie
    Mine is 1920 x 1080 with 23". But I don't think that should be the cause as I got bigger screen. All other icons look just fine, but this SQL Developer one.
  • 5. Re: A great tool, but need a better icon.
    Jim Smith Expert
    I use the default icon (the one inside the executable) and it looks fine on both Windows XP and Windows 7 at 1920x1080. (And on ubuntu 12.04 at the same resolution) I can't see what the png file looks like as Windows XP doesn't seem to support png icons.

This is for 3.2.10. The icon for 3.1.07.42 on the other hand, does look flat with rough edges on windows 7.
  • 6. Re: A great tool, but need a better icon.
    968772 Newbie
    Thanks for the info. I think I am using the icon within the application too. As I don't know how to check the resolution of the icon, rather I checked the png file I mentioned in the folder. I assume that is the file used to create icon when the application was complied. Btw, my version is 64bit version on Windows 7 64bit. Anyway thanks for all the info. I am not trying to correct it. I just want to mention this so the application production owner may notice this and have a check on it and if it is an opportunity to improve, that would be great.
  • 7. Re: A great tool, but need a better icon.
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

I used some web site to iconify a larger version of the icon.png (8k in ...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\doc versus 2k in the other directory), then replaced the shortcut's icon with it. Still could not tell the difference, but perhaps I did not take full advantage of the iconify processing offered there. Contrast that 8K png with the 4K png in ...\datamodeler\datamodeler.

Anyway, I went ahead and logged an enhancement request for this:
    Bug 14800644 - SQL DEV ICON LOOKS BLURRY ON SOME HI-RES MONITORS VERSUS DATA MODELER'S ICON

Regards,
    Gary