This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2012 1:54 PM by 969665 RSS

Oracle VM Manager problems

969665 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

I just started using Oracle VM yesterday, so please bear with me.

I have a Dell R400 with a PERC controller card. It controls 4 internal 600GB SAS drives. Two drives each are paired together to form a 600GB RAID 1 virtual disk and a smaller RAID 1 570 GB virtual disk. The other one is smaller as I took about 20+ GB to install the xen OS. Anyway, I have the VM Manager on a different workstation. From the VM Manager workstation, I added the XEN server. In the Servers and VMs tab I see the server as unassigned. But for some reason I can't see the virtual disks I created. I can't add repositories under the Repository tab, or add an Access Group under the Storage tab. What do I have to do to get it so the Oracle VM Manager can see the virtual disks I created?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by: 966662 on Oct 19, 2012 11:31 PM
  • 1. Re: Oracle VM Manager problems
    budachst Journeyer
    First of all, OVMM won't recognize any disk as a physical disk, that has any kind of partitioning - just straight LUNs. That said, if you select the server in question and change the perspective on the right to "Physical disks", OVMM will show you what disks it has discovered on that server. If there are the disks/LUNs in your case, present, you can then start by creating a server pool, which will also some small LUN - depending on your needs, you could downsize it so as low as 10 GB.

So, to get started you will need at least 3 LUNs on your system:

a) LUN0 -> 20 GB for the OS
    b) LUN1 -> 10 GB for the server pool fs
    c) LUN2 -> ??? GB for the storage pool

If you should not see any physical disks on your server, it might be, that OVMM doesn't support the PERC controller. Please, also make sure, that your LUNs do appear on your VM server under /dev/mapper, since this is where OVMM actually scans for disks.
  • 2. Re: Oracle VM Manager problems
    969665 Newbie
    I have a VM manager on a LUN that is on a separate computer (which shouldn't matter). On the other computer I have 3 LUNs. One LUN is for the OS has the server pool OS and the other two are the data LUNs. And in the /dev/mapper directory, I see the two data LUNs:

[root@newora xen]# ls -l /dev/mapper/
    total 0
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 252, 1 Oct 19 09:18 3690b11c005c83d00181424360e7323aa
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 252, 0 Oct 19 09:18 3690b11c005ce2f0017f550ce14db35e3
    crw------- 1 root root 10, 236 Oct 19 09:18 control
    [root@newora xen]#

But they still don't show up under the storage tab. So what now?
  • 3. Re: Oracle VM Manager problems
    969665 Newbie
    Turns out that there is a check box called "Clustered Server Pool". Once that was unchecked, I could continue with the install.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points