This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 8:12 AM by mkirtley-Oracle RSS

Query in sql server  from Oracle  9.2

muttleychess Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi

How can I to connect and execute query from Oracle without to use others products ( DG4MSQL ....etc) ?

using 9.2.08
  • 1. Re: Query in sql server  from Oracle  9.2
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Hi,
    I am not sure what you mean without other products but if you want to run queries from Oracle to non-Oracle databases then you need a gateway of some type.
    This is needed to translate Oracle SQL statements and datatypes to something that is understood on the non-Oracle database although there is more than that involved. You can't just connect without some other software being involved.
    The options you have are outlined in these notes available in My Oracle Support -

Options for Connecting to Foreign Data Stores and Non-Oracle Databases (Doc ID 233876.1)
    Master Note for Oracle Gateway Products (Doc ID 1083703.1)

If you want a 'free' solution then you could use the Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC (DG4ODBC) which is included as part of your RDBMS licence but it does need a third party ODBC driver. If you run it on a Windows machien then you could use the Microsoft SQL*Server ODBC driver which should be available along with SQL*Server.

If this is not what you want then please give more details of what you want to do and how you would like to do it.

Regards,
    Mike
  • 2. Re: Query in sql server  from Oracle  9.2
    muttleychess Newbie
    mkirtley wrote:
    Hi,
    I am not sure what you mean without other products but if you want to run queries from Oracle to non-Oracle databases then you need a gateway of some type.
    This is needed to translate Oracle SQL statements and datatypes to something that is understood on the non-Oracle database although there is more than that involved. You can't just connect without some other software being involved.
    The options you have are outlined in these notes available in My Oracle Support -

Options for Connecting to Foreign Data Stores and Non-Oracle Databases (Doc ID 233876.1)
    Master Note for Oracle Gateway Products (Doc ID 1083703.1)

If you want a 'free' solution then you could use the Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC (DG4ODBC) which is included as part of your RDBMS licence but it does need a third party ODBC driver. If you run it on a Windows machien then you could use the Microsoft SQL*Server ODBC driver which should be available along with SQL*Server.

If this is not what you want then please give more details of what you want to do and how you would like to do it.

Regards,
    Mike
    Thank you,

When you speak in 'free' is about DG4ODBC ? is Free ?

Is possible to configure only client machine ?
  • 3. Re: Query in sql server  from Oracle  9.2
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Hi,
    I say it is 'free' because Dg4ODBC is included in your RDBMS license and you just need to supply a third party ODBC driver.
    See this note -

Gateway and Generic Connectivity Licensing Considerations (Doc ID 232482.1)

You need to install and configure it in an ORACLE_HOME on a machine somewhere then you can use database links from to connect to it and select from non-Oracle databases.
    Have a look at these notes depending on the platfrom you plan to use -

How to Setup DG4ODBC on Linux x86 32bit (Doc ID 466228.1)
    How to Configure DG4ODBC on 64bit Unix OS (Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX Itanium) to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install (Doc ID 561033.1)
    How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit (Doc ID 466225.1)
    How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on 64bit Windows Operating Systems (Doc ID 1266572.1)

As I said in my earlier update if SQL*Server is your non-Oracle database then an standalone install on Windows is the best option to be able to use the Microsoft ODBC driver, although there is now a MS ODBC available on Linux x86-64 bit.

Please read through the notes I have referred to because they should have the information you need.

Regards,
    Mike
  • 4. Re: Query in sql server  from Oracle  9.2
    muttleychess Newbie
    mkirtley wrote:
    Hi,
    I say it is 'free' because Dg4ODBC is included in your RDBMS license and you just need to supply a third party ODBC driver.
    See this note -

Gateway and Generic Connectivity Licensing Considerations (Doc ID 232482.1)

You need to install and configure it in an ORACLE_HOME on a machine somewhere then you can use database links from to connect to it and select from non-Oracle databases.
    Have a look at these notes depending on the platfrom you plan to use -

How to Setup DG4ODBC on Linux x86 32bit (Doc ID 466228.1)
    How to Configure DG4ODBC on 64bit Unix OS (Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX Itanium) to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install (Doc ID 561033.1)
    How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit (Doc ID 466225.1)
    How to Setup DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on 64bit Windows Operating Systems (Doc ID 1266572.1)

As I said in my earlier update if SQL*Server is your non-Oracle database then an standalone install on Windows is the best option to be able to use the Microsoft ODBC driver, although there is now a MS ODBC available on Linux x86-64 bit.

Please read through the notes I have referred to because they should have the information you need.

Regards,
    Mike
    Thank you for informations, I search, because My client is 9.2.08, but I am a DBA and do not have access to UNIX server where is Database
  • 5. Re: Query in sql server  from Oracle  9.2
    mkirtley-Oracle Expert
    Hi,
    From the client you need to be able somehow to make a database link using a gateway to conenct to a non-Oracle database.

Regards,
    Mike

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points