4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 4:35 PM by JustinCave RSS

Error installing Sample Schemas in Oracle XE11

Hi,
      I have successfully installed Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2. With this installation, I think that only the HR schema is available and I can see that at this location on my computer- C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\demo\Schema

I wanted to install the OE, PM, IX and SH schemas too - I think these are available as download with the standard database installation. I downloaded the sample database zip file (Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Examples) from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/112010-win64soft-094461.html

I double clicked the setup.exe file and the first step of installation involves specifying the location - I entered the following paths for the location. (I did take care to empty the Schemas folder based on the initial error message I got)

For the Oracle Base : C:\oraclexe

For the software location: C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\demo\Schemas

I am still getting the following error messages -

[INS-32025] The chosen installation conflicts with software already installed in the given Oracle home.
      [INS-52001] Oracle Database Examples can only be installed into an existing Oracle Home.

Unless I see these schemas in the Oracle home, I cannot run the scripts to create the schemas. Is there anyway, that I can install these Oracle Database schemas for use in Oracle XE?

Please help

Thanks
      NAD
        • 1. Re: Error installing Sample Schemas in Oracle XE11
          clcarter
          An XE installation does not include many of the options available in SE or EE editions, see the XE license documentation at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/license.112/e18068/toc.htm#BABJBGGA

The XE install does include the HR scripts, see the ...server\demo\schema\human_resources folder that should be the only one in the OH if setup.exe attempted runs haven't dropped anything else into the folder.

Looks like setup wants to install to a valid %ORACLE_HOME% location, but an XE install isn't quite right for that.

I've not done much with the demo schemas but looks like you should be able to run the HR one via hr_main.sql, take a look at that file for the parameters to run the script, i.e. in a command box:

cd <OH>
          cd demo\schema\human_resources
          sqlplus /nolog
          conn /as sysdba;
          @hr_main <hr passwd> <tblspc> <temp tblspc> <sys passwd> <path for logfile i.e. c:\temp>

Edited by: clcarter on Oct 24, 2012 12:54 PM
          add logfile arg/parm
          • 2. Re: Error installing Sample Schemas in Oracle XE11
            orafad
            942907 wrote:
            I wanted to install the OE, PM, IX and SH schemas too - I think these are available as download with the standard database installation. I downloaded the sample database zip file (Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Examples) from here
            There are features required for Sample Schemas, that are not available in XE (e.g Java, DM, Partitioning).
            Under the OTN downloads license, in which agreement you entered to download and use Examples, you could also get EE for self-educational purposes etc. (see OTN License Agreement).

Any particular reason you want to install these schemas in XE instead of EE/PE?

>
            Is there anyway, that I can install these Oracle Database schemas for use in Oracle XE?
            See my response in thread about SH, which you could use as a guide to (try to) install remaining schema.
            SH SCHEMA in oracle XE ?

Note the ordering:
            http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10831/installation.htm#I4367

You may need to also drop the XE included HR and install HR from Examples -- I'm not sure the one built in is the full Sample HR schema.

Edited by: orafad on Oct 24, 2012 10:08 PM
            • 3. Re: Error installing Sample Schemas in Oracle XE11
              I am have wanted to become proficient in Oracle SQL, and had already installed XE on my personal laptop, but wanted to practice with. I guess for EE edition, I would need to pay the license fees (not sure if it is free for educational purposes).

Can I install the Enterprise edition without the license fees? Did not see that option anywhere...may be I missed something?

If I can, then that will solve all my problems!!

Thanks
              • 4. Re: Error installing Sample Schemas in Oracle XE11
                JustinCave
                You can certainly download the enterprise edition from the OTN web site. You'll need to agree to the OTN license when you do so. In general, that lets you install the database on your local machine to play around and learn how to use it (though the license will go into much more detail about what is allowed).

Justin