2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 4:46 PM by Matthew Morris RSS

Why IS the training required to be OCP?

I just finished my OCA and realized that OCP certification requires me to pay for training that i dont really need. I have been administering Oracle databases since oracle 8 and never felt the need to certify myself.

There is very little that I gained from a Oracle DBA course my company made me attend a couple of years ago. This seems more like a strategy from oracle to make quick money rather than to ensure quality of the OCPs.

I know Oracle never cared about the little guys and they have the monopoly in the database market for now. But, i think this is blatant "white mail" on professionals that are working on their software. The exams for any Oracle product is a almost twice as the other technologies, for no obvious reason. And now this clearly intended requirement just so they get $4000 more for each certificate they give out?

Well, bye bye OCP. I think i will spend my money where it actually counts. In this economy, i refuse to give in to these whitemails
        • 1. Re: Why IS the training required to be OCP?
          bigdelboy
          user8487154 wrote:
          I just finished my OCA and realized that OCP certification requires me to pay for training that i dont really need. I have been administering Oracle databases since oracle 8 and never felt the need to certify myself.

There is very little that I gained from a Oracle DBA course my company made me attend a couple of years ago. This seems more like a strategy from oracle to make quick money rather than to ensure quality of the OCPs.

I know Oracle never cared about the little guys and they have the monopoly in the database market for now. But, i think this is blatant "white mail" on professionals that are working on their software. The exams for any Oracle product is a almost twice as the other technologies, for no obvious reason. And now this clearly intended requirement just so they get $4000 more for each certificate they give out?

Well, bye bye OCP. I think i will spend my money where it actually counts. In this economy, i refuse to give in to these whitemails
          I can respect your opinion.

However If you wish to continue with traning there are a couple of practical option/points/ideas to consider.

- For a DBA OCP thre are a number of training course of quite a wide width and it is unlikely most people know everything about them all. And you might find when oracle 12c comes out a new features course for that might be relevant. That new features 12c course will almost certainly be a eligible training pre-requisite for training at lower version levels.
          - Some of the satisfying courses are shorter (3 day) and cheaper than others.
          - If the course you attended a while ago is a qualifying couse for a lower version of oracle you may be able to use it to qualify at that level .... then upgrade. Apparently pointless but may be cheaper.
          - If you are able to find a WDP provider you may find the training even more pointless but cheaper. https://workforce.oracle.com/ ....
          - perhaps ou organisation has some training credits or something.

In all events may very sure you have examinied all the small printer carefully before proceeding especially if not dealing with oracle university; otherwise money can be spent pointlessly.

And You've probably found it already ... but this page refers to approved courses:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=244
          • 2. Re: Why IS the training required to be OCP?
            Matthew Morris
            I have been administering Oracle databases since oracle 8 and never felt the need to certify myself.
            If you don't consider certification to be valuable then I agree that you should not pursue one.

I know Oracle never cared about the little guys and they have the monopoly in the database market for now.
            But, i think this is blatant "white mail" on professionals that are working on their software.
            I wonder how much Oracle has spent developing Oracle XE, which can be used forever, free, no money to Oracle corporation ever. Some people might think that this database was actually directed at 'the little guys' but apparently not.

Now, ~15 years into your Oracle career (O8 having been released in 2007), you're being 'whitemailed' into pursuing a certification that you feel has no value. I wonder how they're going to enforce it? I also wonder how 'whitemail', defined as "A compensatory incentive for someone to do their job quicker, better, or in a manner more advantageous to the payer." comes into play.

The exams for any Oracle product is a almost twice as the other technologies, for no obvious reason.
            Most Oracle exams run about $200. I have to assume that by 'other technologies' you mean MCSE exams, which are around $150 at Prometric currently (which would by about 75% of the Oracle price rather than 50%). DB2 exams are right at $200. Cisco exams are a great deal more. CompTIA exams are comparable (some below, most above $200). I'm afraid the facts aren't with you here.

No one says you have to become certified, now or ever. It may help you get a job. You indicate that your employer made you take a class a couple of years ago (the fiends). If you're still employed by them, then this presumably isn't a factor to you. It may mean your employer considers you more valuable and gives you a raise. Maybe not. I've generally found employers have Education Assistance Programs that will pay for work-related training. This means my out of pocket expense gets covered and I get a few days of relaxation taking a training course. I hate when that happens.

Whatever your situation, there binary solution set -- having a certification will either help your career or it won't. My own feeling is that just spending the time and energy studying for the test is enhancing my knowledge and therefore my career. There has never been a test where I haven't learned something new during the study process. It could be argued that I'd get the same benefit studying non-certification books on my own. True... but knowing that I'm going to be tested on the information that I'm reading provides an extra incentive to actually pay attention to what I'm doing. I like taking tests and I don't mind taking training classes. You feel otherwise. It'd be a strange world if everybody was alike.