2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 12:27 PM by 970732 RSS

fresh install of solaris 10 x86 hangs after 'Configuring devices'

Hi All,

I just received a new SuperMicro server with an LSI MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i controller. While trying to install Solaris 10 it hangs after "Configuring devices". I checked the LSI page and Solaris 10 is supported according to them. Any ideas how to proceed?
      Fairly new to Solaris on x86 hardware.

The system has a Xeon X5690 processor in an Intel Workstation Board S5520SC motherboard. The motherboard documents claim that not disabling usb 2.0 can hang an install. I have disabled the usb 2.0 in the bios but the system still hangs. Booting it with the -kd and -kv options don't give much information.

Any help is appreciated. I might be returning these machines if I can't get this worked out.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by: 967729 on Oct 25, 2012 3:51 PM
        • 1. Re: fresh install of solaris 10 x86 hangs after 'Configuring devices'
          See if you can add the verbose option "-v" to the kernel boot options. I think you can get to the GRUB menu off the Solaris 10 install disk. That should tell you what device is causing the hang, or at least the last device that worked.

Also, can you try Solaris 11 and see if it gets past that point? A few years ago I has a similar issue with Solaris 10 on a Dell server. Solaris 11/OpenSolaris worked fine, though. IIRC I could work around the issue if I disabled the 2nd CPU - Solaris 10 had a problem bringing up the 2nd CPU on that Dell's CPU/MB config.
          • 2. Re: fresh install of solaris 10 x86 hangs after 'Configuring devices'
            I tried Solaris 11 and ran into the same proglem. However, I found the issue with it hanging. The system is using the Intel S5520SC motherboard and I had to disable USB 2.0 and set the on-board raid controller to "compatibility mode" for it to get past configuring devices. Once I did that, I was able to proceed with my install.

Cheers,

Steve