This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2012 6:07 PM by Gary Graham RSS

Trace Session in SQL Developer throws error

MartinMinnock Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Everyone,

I'm running into an error when I try to use the TRACE SESSION option when using MONITOR SESSIONS in SQL Developer.

Some details:
SQL Developer Version 3.2.10.09 64-Bit on Windows 7 64-Bit
Java: 1.6.0_17
Oracle IDE: 3.2.10.09.57
Versioning Support 3.2.10.09.57
connected to Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 64-Bit on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 64-Bit

I navigate to Tools > Monitor Sessions and then right click on a session and select TRACE SESSION. Clicking APPLY results in a TRACE SESSION SUCCEEDED message to which I click OK. This then creates three entries in the Logging Page pane all at level SEVERE and all containing the same source and message as follows:

SOURCE: oracle.dbtools.raptor.controls.sqldialog.ObjectActionController$EditorObjectActionListener
MESSAGE: null at oracle.dbtools.raptor.controls.sqldialog.ObjectActionController$EditorObjectActionListener$Filter$1.accept(ObjectActionController.java:689)

I guess I'm missing something in my setup but am not sure what that might be. Any ideas?
  • 1. Re: Trace Session in SQL Developer throws error
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Martin,

The error you see is definitely unexpected -- that spot in the code controls refreshing the content of any editors that could be affected by the SQL that just got processed. In the case of TRACE SESSION, I don't think any editors should be affected since the result is to begin writing to a trc file on the server.

If I put a break-point at that line in the Java class and run the debugger, the debugger never even reaches that code for the scenario you describe (Monitor Sessions [select a SYSDBA connection], then Trace Session [select an ordinary user like SCOTT]).

Knowing what other editors you had open within SQL Developer may help. Or maybe some other SQL was running simultaneously, completing around the same point in time. Not really sure what more to suggest...

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: Trace Session in SQL Developer throws error
    MartinMinnock Newbie
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've tried running the trace session again without any other editor open and I still get the error thrown only this time the error only appears once in the Logging Page pane whereas before it appeared three times. If I open a SQL editor and try the trace the error appears twice, opening another SQL editor makes the error appear three times and so on. So, running the trace generates an error, and an additional copy of the error appears for each open editor.

Not sure if this gives you any clues?

Thanks,
    Martin
  • 3. Re: Trace Session in SQL Developer throws error
    Gary Graham Expert
    Martin,

Apparently even though the error level is marked as SEVERE, in this case there really is no harm. If you look at your sqldeveloper.conf file, toward the bottom, you will see either
    IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-nondebug.conf
         or
    IncludeConfFile  sqldeveloper-debug.conf
    The debug version contains
    AddVMOption  -Dsqldev.debug=true
    AddVMOption  -ea
    which enables debug logging and Java assert processing. The assert actually blocks processing of the code you see the error in. Since developers typically run the debug version, we never see that message logged. The non-debug version contains
    AddVMOption -Dide.AssertTracingDisabled=true
    So you should either ignore the error, or try to edit your conf files to suppress it. Possibly a bug should be logged, but the condition is benign.

-Gary

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points