This discussion is archived
1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Previous Next 182 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 5:40 AM by rukbat Go to original post RSS
  • 75. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    For me ADF is nothing else "yet another html5 framework". It's similat to Codemeter One, write Java code, "compile" to HTML5...

But I need to further HTML5 framework for iOS and Android! I need a real Java with UI support like JavaFX2 on iOS, Android, UX, ...

So please post any news like "Oracle announces JavaFX 2 for iOS, Android and Windows 8" with embedded Java7 VM (small profile). We need IDE support or special ant tasks to deploy this app - maybe the JavaFXPackager has to be extended?
  • 76. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    970620 Newbie
    Codename One is not another HTML5 framework!
    You write in Java (the UI is similar to swing) and the code is cross compiled to C & Objective C on IOS. the UI was ported on top of OpenGL therefore results in a very good performance.

You are more then welcome to give it a try, it has plugins for Eclipse and Netbeans.

Disclaimer - I'm one of the founders of CodenameOne.
  • 77. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    Hi,

sorry, you are right! codename one compiles to native code. Thats good! I give it a try but I'm more interested in using JavaFX2... Maybe you guys could make it happen ;)

Edited by: Tobi on 25.10.2012 13:32
  • 78. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    970620 Newbie
    I rather say "no comment..." at the moment, what I can say is that our UI is a "mobile swing" with animations, layouts, themes and native components integration (in place WebBrowser view and Video playback).
    Check out the developer demo running on ipad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PjKg3zdFASA
  • 79. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    Sorry, but it seams a little bit useless to me if you can't use the full JDK rather than the J2ME subset (JDK 1.3) used by CodenameOne...

What about external libraries? Can I use apache commons libs, e.g.? How difficult would it be to port a standard swing application to CodenameOne?
  • 80. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    970620 Newbie
    it's not J2ME! it is subset of Java 5 + some API's (e.g. collections, threads etc.)
    What about external libraries?
    Not at the moment, we are working on this.
    Besides since it's an open source project we get plenty of help from the community.(you are welcome to join)
    How difficult would it be to port a standard swing application to CodenameOne?
    It should be pretty much straight forward, take a look at the API

Edited by: 967617 on Oct 25, 2012 6:04 AM
  • 81. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    932547 Newbie
    I've been developing more years than I care to think about and I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've been as excited by a new technology as I am (perhaps was) about JavaFX 2. As soon as I started playing with it I realized that it could be a total game changer. For years I've been working with HTML + JS + CSS and while you can certainly get the job done I think everyone would agree it's a painful experience most of the time. JavaFX promised to brush all of that away and provide a simple, quick, clean way of producing an interface that worked and looked the same across numerous platforms. If it's now only going to target desktops on Win, Mac and Linux I really don't see much point in continued investment as that is going to rapidly become a niche market.

I see earlier on in this thread people pointing to great apps that have been built with HTML like Google Docs. I ask those people, have you actually used Google Docs to do a real piece of work? There's no doubt you can but you can also start a fire by rubbing two sticks together rather than just striking a match. My point is Google Docs is one of the best examples of what can be done with web technology and it still comes up short, I'm pretty sure that JavaFX as it stands today could produce a better user experience.

We have struggled for a decade or more now to take web technologies and make them into proper software development systems but they just aren't really cut out for it and I can't see how they ever really will be. I think maybe an earlier poster hit the nail on the head when he said no one will get sacked for betting on the web.
  • 82. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    gimbal2 Guru
    Graham Smith wrote:
    I see earlier on in this thread people pointing to great apps that have been built with HTML like Google Docs. I ask those people, have you actually used Google Docs to do a real piece of work? There's no doubt you can but you can also start a fire by rubbing two sticks together rather than just striking a match. My point is Google Docs is one of the best examples of what can be done with web technology and it still comes up short, I'm pretty sure that JavaFX as it stands today could produce a better user experience.
    You'd also have to wonder just how much time needed to be invested into Google docs to get it to what it is today, compared to the time you'd need to build the same in a client application environment... The end result is that you're still hammering away in a rich HTML editor kind of thing, which will never compare to the "real thing".
  • 83. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    Did anyone try to create a Java based iOS application by OpenJDK or IcdTea and Zero? It should be possible.
  • 84. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    875756 Pro
    From what I can tell, even if you managed to make this work, legally openjdk derivatives aren't allowed in the iOS app store. Openjdk is gpl and the iOS app store licence clashes with that.

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2012-October/004093.html

Im not a lawyer and may be wrong but as things stand it doesn't look like a community built port of jfx to iOS is, or will be, an option.
  • 85. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    Tobi Newbie
    Oh I dont' think so because OpenJDK is based on GPL with(!) GPL linking exception. So the resulting application must not be based on GPL licence! So I don't see any problem in distributing a Java app based on OpenJDK in the AppStore.

btw: Cyberduck includes an embedded OpenJDK and is on the AppStore...
  • 86. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    875756 Pro
    I'm still trying to work this one out.

I'm not convinced that the GPL Linking exception would allow anyone to sidestep the problems around using the App store. As far as I can tell, the linking exception just means that you don't have to open source your own code if you dynamically link to the library. In this case I imagine developers would be modifying parts of the OpenJDK/OpenJFX source code, and then compiling a 'new' JDK which then gets used. This seems to be more than 'linking' from what I can tell but I'm definitely not sure though and would love to be wrong!

From all my research, what I have found is that the Mac App Store is definitely not compatible with the regular GPL. Basically the GPL states that you can not do anything that would add restrictions on top of the GPL. The Mac store adds such restrictions.

It seems however that Apple is not overly diligent in checking this sort of stuff when you submit the app (probably relying on you to answer some form saying "it's all good", which then puts the legal blame on you not them). As such apps with GPL can make it into the store but are technically in violation of the GPL licence. If Apple gets notified of this they will then take the app down. This has happened already with VLC.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6109/is-it-possible-to-have-gpl-software-in-the-mac-app-store
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/09/the-gpl-the-app-store-and-you/

So possibly this means you'll be able to get the app into the store, but if anyone complains (a competitor for example), or if Apple or Oracle one day decide they want to be nasty to the other for commercial gain then your app could easily get pulled.

Again, I don't really know and I'm just trying to piece it together from the confusing information that's out there. Without the linking exception it looks pretty solid that you can NOT put the JDK in the app store, I personally can't see the linking exception helping in this case but I'm not a lawyer.

I'd hate for some poor sucker to put a whole lot of work into porting JFX to iOS and then find out no one can use it - that would suck!
  • 87. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    gimbal2 Guru
    @zonski: your VLC example pretty much backs up and confirms your fears.

Isn't it a bit of irony? The GPL license, designed to create free and open software for everyone everywhere, is blocking you from being free to distribute the software due to its own restrictions :/
  • 88. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    alabala_kiril Newbie
    It's really strange that JavaFX does not target the new mobile platforms...that misses the point completely!
    ...Even Microsoft did the move and entered the hardware business with their Surface tablet. All kind of new Windows 8 devices are here already. Apple just announced the new iPads series, the new iPhone.
    Users use different devices on the go, at work and at home unifying their user experience through the cloud.
    The boundaries between the Mac Store and the iOS store are disappearing. The boundaries between a tablet, a smartphone or a desktop machine are also vanishing.

What's the point in having a JavaFX app in the Mac Store( http://fxexperience.com/2012/10/javafx-ensemble-in-the-mac-app-store/) but not having the same app in the iOS store?
  • 89. Re: JavaOne 2012: JavaFX on iOS, Android and Windows 8 Metro???
    zmirc Newbie
    @Nicolas:
    I did now. (1 November)
    Come on, Oracle! Do something about this.

I agree 100% with having JavaFX on mobile. It's an important need in the software development world.

Edited by: zmirc on Nov 1, 2012 1:16 AM
1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points