This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 1:23 PM by philip brown RSS

Vnc console doesn't start on Mac OSx

SPA2 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
I just imported the ISO Image in the virtual machine which I would like to create.
I installed the Vm Server: 3.1.1-308.
The VM Manager 3.1.1 is installed and also the tight-vnc rpm package.

Described in the documentation they said that the Vnc Console can be launched if a Vncviewer in my case a macbook with mac os installed.
So I install the vncviewer on my macbook and it works very well. I tested with other machines.

So now while I try to boot from the ISO image I need to launch the console from virtual machine but it doesn't work.

After a few tests I installed the latest Java version 1.7 and try to start via "javaws" by entering host and port."Vnc Viewer.app" 192.168.152.49:5900.
It was the same result. I can't launch the console.
I do a lot of testing and check also the vm.cfg file and changed from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0 but it doesn't help.
(It was described by someone in the forum)

Who can give me some help and tipps?

The best would be if I can do the Console jobs directly via the vncvierwer.

many thanks
SPA2

Edited by: SPA2 on Nov 1, 2012 3:31 PM

Edited by: SPA2 on Nov 1, 2012 3:32 PM
  • 1. Re: ISO Image started but no vnc console doesn't work
    user12273962 Pro
    The vnc sessions are proxied through the VM Manager. You can not connect directly to the VM server to do console sessions. You must launch the session from the manager.
  • 2. Re: ISO Image started but no vnc console doesn't work
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    thanks for the answer. :-)
    Sorry but I don't understand.

My problem is I start the new created virtual machine and now I need to setup for example the OEL 6.3 to do the installation.
    For this reason I need a console to do the input same like a terminal.
    Where can I do these input?

You say go to the VM Manger. Okay but what do I have to start to do the OEL installation task?

Another question: Where can I follow the output from a virtual machine if this machine is starting up?
    many thanks
    SPA2
  • 3. Re: ISO Image started but no vnc console doesn't work
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    I started the "Console" from the Oracle Vm Manager in the virtual machine tab as "launch console".

Yes the VM manager is started inside a browser window on my client.
    So inside the browser session from firefox I started the "launch console" of the virtual machine started from the ISO.

But this doesn't work and without the Console I can't install and configure the OEL.

How can I troubleshoot this?

regards
    SPA2
  • 4. Re: ISO Image started but no vnc console doesn't start from Mac
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi all,
    so I enter the whole error message.
    Mac OS
    platform is: 1.7
    product is: 1.7.0_09
    location is: http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se
    path is: /Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java
    args is: null
    native platform is: Mac OS X, x86_64 [ x86_64, 64bit ]
    JavaFX runtime is: JavaFX 2.2.3 found at /Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/
    enabled is: true
    registered is: true
    system is: true
         Match: ignoring maxHeap: -1
         Match: ignoring InitHeap: -1
         Match: digesting vmargs: null
         Match: digested vmargs: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
         Match: JVM args after accumulation: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
         Match: digest LaunchDesc: http://192.168.152.100:7001/ovm/rasproxy/ovm_rasproxy-ws.jnlp?vmachineId=0004fb000006000023f343ea1bf8ff8f&service=null&sessionId=aefe70a5-7a14-4bb5-b59c-83730354d745
         Match: digest properties: []
         Match: JVM args: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
         Match: endTraversal ..
         Match: JVM args final:
         Match: Running JREInfo Version match: 1.7.0.09 == 1.7.0.09
         Match: Running JVM args match: have:<> satisfy want:<>
    Okt 27, 2012 7:43:21 PM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet main
    INFO: Server : 192.168.152.100
    INFO: service id : 003600010004fb000006000023f343ea1bf8ff8f
    INFO: SessionID : aefe70a5-7a14-4bb5-b59c-83730354d745
    Okt 27, 2012 7:43:21 PM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet startListening
    INFO: RAS proxy listening on /127.0.0.1:52589
    INFO: ServiceType : VNC
    Okt 27, 2012 7:43:21 PM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.vnc.LocalConfiguredVncViewerLauncher launchCommand
    INFO: Launching cmd "/Applications/VNC Viewer.app" 192.168.152.100:15901 localhost:52589
    Okt 27, 2012 7:43:21 PM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.ProcessExecutor$1 run
    WARNING: IOException trying to execute program
    Cannot run program "/Applications/VNC Viewer.app": error=13, Permission denied
    Okt 27, 2012 7:43:21 PM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet checkLocalInstalledClients
    SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/Applications/VNC Viewer.app": error=13, Permission denied
    com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.ProcessExecuteException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/Applications/VNC Viewer.app": error=13, Permission denied
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.ProcessExecutor$1.run(ProcessExecutor.java:53)
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.ProcessExecutor$1.run(ProcessExecutor.java:29)
         at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.ProcessExecutor.execute(ProcessExecutor.java:28)
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.vnc.LocalConfiguredVncViewerLauncher.launchCommand(LocalConfiguredVncViewerLauncher.java:97)
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.vnc.LocalConfiguredVncViewerLauncher.runViewer(LocalConfiguredVncViewerLauncher.java:82)
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet.checkLocalInstalledClients(RasProxyApplet.java:106)
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet.main(RasProxyApplet.java:214)
         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
         at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
         at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
         at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
         at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/Applications/VNC Viewer.app": error=13, Permission denied
         at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1029)
         at com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.external.ProcessExecutor$1.run(ProcessExecutor.java:38)
         ... 16 more
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: error=13, Permission denied
         at java.lang.UNIXProcess.forkAndExec(Native Method)
         at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:135)
         at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:130)
         at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1021)
         ... 17 more

Okt 27, 2012 7:43:28 PM com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet main
    INFO: Vncviewer stopped, closing proxy

kind regards
    SPA2
  • 5. Re: ISO Image started but no vnc console doesn't start from Mac
    user12273962 Pro
    Is this the output from your MAC?

Is so, then the log is pretty clear. You don't have permission to run the java applet/VNC Viewer. I'm not a MAC expert, but start there. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the OVM manager.
  • 6. Vnc console (launch console) doesn't start from Mac
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    yes it is the output from the java. It is in debug mode.

Okay it seems to be a Mac problem but on the command line it is no problem to start VNC Viewer.

I also have a virtual machine with Windows 7, Firefox 15 and Java 1.6 up and running and here is the same problem.
    I can't start the console.

regards
    SPA2

Edited by: SPA2 on Nov 1, 2012 3:30 PM
  • 7. Re: Vnc console (launch console) doesn't start from Mac
    Roddy Rodstein Explorer
    FYI, if you updated Java on your MAC/Win7 to v7, that's the problem. v7 breaks the VNC console :-)
  • 8. Re: Vnc console (launch console) doesn't start from Mac
    user12273962 Pro
    NO IT DOESN'T.
  • 9. Re: Vnc console (launch console) doesn't start from Mac
    budachst Journeyer
    +1

The Java 7 web-plugin has been running OVM vnc console ever since I installed it up to ML 10.8.2 on my MPB.
  • 10. Re: Vnc console doesn't start on Mac OSx
    Dude! Guru
    Actually you don't need to install any 3rd party VNC viewer under Mac OSX. It comes with a nice VNC viewer installed already.

From the Finder "Go" menu, select "Connect to Server" and type the URL, e.g. vnc://server_ip:5900 or whatever port is suitable. The VNC ScreenSharing application is stored in System/Library/CoreServices. I use it all the time and it works fine.
  • 11. Re: Vnc console doesn't start on Mac OSx
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    okay I was out of the office and can't do any testing.
    I will check next monday.

So I need only the install the tight-vnc on the VM Manager which was done and then
    while starting the new virtual machine from the ISO and can directly connect to the server via: "vnc://server_ip:5900"
    And here I will get the output from the starting vm machine which was in boot state?

I will give you a feedback next week.

regards
    SPA2
  • 12. Re: Vnc console doesn't start on Mac OSx
    budachst Journeyer
    No - you can't connect to the VM that way. Dude just explained, how to use the simple VNC client that is part of OS X.

Check if:

- OS X hasn't disabled the Java-Plugin in your browser(s)
    - you have allowed pop-ups from your OVM Manager

Cheers,
    budy
  • 13. Re: Vnc console doesn't start on Mac OSx
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi all,
    I have a solution for my problems. i try to install a PVM for OEL 6.3.
    So paravirtualized machine only boot from an ISO Image which was for example mounted on a NFS or HTTP Server.

What I did first I try to create a HVM and booting from a imported ISO image in a storage pool. This doesn't work.

So I create a http server and load the ISO image and mount it via "mount -o ro,loop ...."

After this the virtual machine starts and via "launch console" I am able to install the software.

But for my client a Mac Book I need Java 1.7 with Java 1.6 it doesn't work.

regards
    SPA2
  • 14. Re: Vnc console doesn't start on Mac OSx
    philip brown Newbie
    "No - you can't connect to the VM that way. Dude just explained, how to use the simple VNC client that is part of OS X."

yeah, he explained how to start it to connect normally to a remote machine.... but he didnt explain how to integrate it with the remote console /java proxy stuff, that I saw ?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points