This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2008 6:53 AM by StewStryker RSS

Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?

Learco Brizzi Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
What has happened to the partial refreshing functionality of pages for 2.0 like the SVG charts? I can't find anything in the documentation or help.

Learco
  • 1. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    357241 Oracle ACE
    Hello,

Search the forums for AJAX , XMLHTTP , PPR , or parital page refresh and you will find a bunch of stuff.

There's some examples linked off of this page.
    http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=11933:11

Carl
  • 2. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    Learco Brizzi Oracle ACE
    Hi,

That's not what I meant. Below a part of the userguide which promises this functionality. It's only announced but nowhere explained (or even implemented?).
    ------------------------------------------
    ■Improved Templates.
    Each supplied theme in release 2.0 features new and
    improved templates. Page footers now float to the bottom of the page and HTML
    has been improved. Each theme also includes a report template capable of
    rendering report regions using partial page refresh. With partial page refresh,
    paginating the report does not refresh any page attributes or other reports, just the
    report part of a single region.
    See Also: "Customizing Templates" on page 7-17

■Improved Reporting Using Partial Page Refresh.
    Reports in Application Builder
    now utilize a rendering technology called partial page refresh. Partial page refresh
    improves the performance of paginating and sorting reports since the entire page
    is not refreshed, only the report content.
    See Also: "Creating Reports" on page 6-17

------------------------------------------
    Learco
  • 3. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    357241 Oracle ACE
    Hello,

Take a look at this thread.

Re: PPR breaks browser Back button

Carl
  • 4. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    VANJ Journeyer
    I think what the OP means is...

Suppose I have a select list with submit. There is a report region on the page that uses the value of this select list item in its WHERE clause.

When I change the selected value in the list, is there a way to use the new PPR feature to refresh just that report region and not the entire page?

Thanks
  • 5. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    Learco Brizzi Oracle ACE
    I haven't seen PPR yet in 2.0......

Learco
  • 6. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    VANJ Journeyer
    Well, one example is simply the App Builder itself. See the list of pages in your application? The pagination links below that region are implemented using PPR i.e. when you navigate thru the page sets, just that region is refreshed, not the entire page.

To use this in your own application, use the "Standard (PPR)" report template that is included in all builtin themes. (You might have to copy it from a brand new theme/application since the 1.6->2.0 upgrade process doesnt touch your existing themes/templates)

Thanks
  • 7. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    Learco Brizzi Oracle ACE
    Thanks Vikas,

Finally I understand why I've never seen these templates before (I migrated from 1.6) .
    I've no brand new install... Do you know where to find the templates? Maybe somewhere in the installation files?

Learco
  • 8. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    357241 Oracle ACE
    Hello,

Go into the theme section change the number of your current theme to something like 20,

Then recreate the theme from the HTML DB repository. Then copy templates as necessary from the new theme to the old theme or if you haven't made in changes then just switch themes then the PPR Pagination template will then be there.

Carl
  • 9. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    357241 Oracle ACE
    Hello,
    When I change the selected value in the list, is
    there a way to use the new PPR feature to refresh
    just that report region and not the entire page?

Thanks
    Yes there is a way to do this, I'll see if I can get an example up in the next couple days.

Carl
  • 10. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    VANJ Journeyer
    Hey Carl:

Did you manage to do this already at

http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=11933:33

How do the Category links on the left side refresh just part of the page on the right side?

Thanks
  • 11. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    357241 Oracle ACE
    Hello,

Nope that's just HTML DB's blazing fastness.

Watch the location bar it changes the category id.

I'll work up that PPR region example by next week because it's one that can be extended to all sorts of things.

Carl
  • 12. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    Learco Brizzi Oracle ACE
    Thanks Carl,

I found it!

I think it should be possible (like SVG charts) to make regions refresh itself in preset time interval.

Maybe with a javascript timer which calls the javascript html_PPR_Report_Page(this,'#REGION_ID#','#LINK#') function in some way?

Learco
  • 13. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    357241 Oracle ACE
    Hello,

That's not quite the solution though it does looks some thing like that. That function specific for the PPR pagination/sorting.

I actually have the code already that allows a region and report to refresh at a given time period we actually had it in the product on the monitoring pages but it was decided that it was just a little too much.

I will have an example up by the end of today or tommorow.

Carl
  • 14. Re: Partial refreshing of pages in 2.0 ?
    Learco Brizzi Oracle ACE
    Thanks Carl,

A little too much? Why? I think it will be great to have this functionality standard in HTML DB! I'm looking forward to see your example.

Learco
1 2 3 4 Previous Next