2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 1:42 PM by Jason Harris RSS

How to delete datafiles from asm

Hi,

I am having a problem case is :

1 early this morning i do some changes in parameter of the database.
      2 then create pfile from spfile .
      3 stop database using srvctl
      4 start database on one node using sqlplus / as sysdba with the pfile that i had created
      5 it shows error that memory_target should be greater than 3gb so i increase that in pfile which i had created.
      6 start database using that pfile which says error in identifying control file(MY MISTAKE AS I HAVE NOT SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ASM)
      7 i created spfile from pfile

now how can i get the information about latest control file which i have to use \

Thanks,
      sachin
        • 1. Re: How to delete datafiles from asm
          Balazs Papp
          6 start database using that pfile which says error in identifying control file(MY MISTAKE AS I HAVE NOT SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ASM)
          now how can i get the information about latest control file which i have to use \
          alert.log lists all non-default parameters (including control_files) at every startup, search for an earlier startup an check the value of the parameter
          • 2. Re: How to delete datafiles from asm
            Jason Harris
            The pfile should have *.control_file=<file1>, <file2>, etc..

If the db was open, show parameter control would work.

To answer the title of the post, how to delete files from asm:
            I use dbca or rman for creating / restoring / destroying an instance. Sometimes, for various reasons, there may be an awful failure during one of those operations and then there are files strewn all over the asm diskgroup(s) not assinged to any instance. I manually remove those by setting oraenv to the asm instance, then entering the asmcmd command line. The commands are very similar to a bash shell; ls, ls -l and rm work well.