This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 6:07 PM by rp0428 RSS

SQL Developer when launched gives me this...

970983 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello people of the oracle forum community. After spending over an hour on the phone with techincal support, one of the nice people finally explained to me that they couldn't help me due to not having a contract and directed me here. So here I am... I am sure my question is fairly simple to solve yet I am not sure what it is.

I am taking an Oracle class online via my local community college and I finally decided that it was time to load the program onto my own computer since the oracle server that they are using has locked all the students out of creating users, etc.(i.e. the chapter that I am currently on in my book).

My issue is this...when I launched SQL Developer it keeps telling me to enter a valid Java.exe file to continue. Has anyone encountered this before and if so how do I proceed with loading my normal SQL files into developer?

Thank you all for taking time to help me learn this software.
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer when launched gives me this...
    rp0428 Guru
    Welcome to the forum!

Whenever you post provide your platform OS and version and the sql developer version.
    >
    when I launched SQL Developer it keeps telling me to enter a valid Java.exe file to continue.
    >
    Sql develeper requires a Java SDK to run and for the latest version you should use Java 1.6.xx.

What version of sql developer did you download? Do you have the correct JDK?

You can download sql developer from the main download page here
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html

There are versions for all supported platforms, 32/64 bit and some include the JDK if you don't have the proper on.
    >
    Has anyone encountered this before and if so how do I proceed with loading my normal SQL files into developer?
    >
    Not sure what you mean by 'loading' your files.
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer when launched gives me this...
    970983 Newbie
    Thank you for the info. I didn't realize that I needed an SDK for this feature. I will go see what I can find.

I am using Oracle 11g on Windows XP.

Edit: The SQL Developer was included in the disc in the back of my book so I would assume that it was 11g also. I am still learning, so please excuse me of any obvious mistakes that I am making currently.

Edited by: 967980 on Oct 26, 2012 5:31 PM
  • 3. Re: SQL Developer when launched gives me this...
    rp0428 Guru
    >
    The SQL Developer was included in the disc in the back of my book so I would assume that it was 11g also.
    >
    I would strongly recommend that you download the latest version of sql developer from the link I provided. Download the one labeled 'Windows 32-bit - zip file includes the JDK1.6.0_11'. Follow the installation notes but you will install the JDK first and then unzip the sql developer files into a folder of your choice.

Then when you launch sql developer it should find the JDK if you installed the JDK properly.

There are plenty of other links on this forum related to install and launch issues if you search the forum for them.

You do have a database available don't you? You will need one.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points