This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 5:52 AM by mBaldwin RSS

Problems with Navigation

mBaldwin Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am having several problems with navigations in WebCenter Portal Framework. I'm using JDeveloper 11.1.1.6.0

1: I have 3 items in my default navigation model, "home", "page", and "test-flow". "home" is the page that you land on when you enter the application, "page" is a random view, and "test-flow" is to a test bounded task-flow that contains only one view. When I enter, I can click on "test-flow" and it navigates to the view properly. I can then click on the "home" link and be brought back to the original page, or I can click "page" and be brought to the proper page. However at this stage if I try clicking on "test-flow" again from either "home" or "page" at this stage, I am brought back to the "home" page and can no longer access the test-flow.

2: I attempted to utilize the pre-built menu navigation task flow as described here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/webcenter.1111/e10148/jpsdg_view_comps.htm#CIHEIIBC
However, I was unable to get anything to render. I have the following parameters in the template binding: "navigationFile=#{navigationContext.defaultNavigationModel}",
"startNode=/", "style=list"
I have tried explicitly stating the path to the default navigation file as well and with/without the startNode and style attributes, but I've had no luck so far.

3: I attempted to utilize a custom navigation model, but was unable to render it. I have attempted the prebuilt navigation flows as I state in problem 2, but I also attempted to modify the given "pageTemplate_globe.jspx" template to accomedate it. This modification was done by changing the EL in the "items" parameter of the "forEach" item from "#{navigationContext.defaultNavigationModel.listModel['startNode=/,includeStartNode=false']}" to "#{navigationContext.navigationModel['modelPath=PATH'].listModel['startNode=/,includeStartNode=false']}" where "PATH" was replaced with the path to my navigation model xml file.

4: In attempts to at least get problem 3 to render, I replaced the value of PATH to be the path to the default navigation model, but it then would no longer render.

I realize that I must be doing alot of things wrong, but I am at a loss for where I am going wrong. The documentation I have followed is linked to in problem #2.

Does anyone know how I can go about solving this issues, or where I can find assistance that will work with the version of JDeveloper and WebCenter Portal Framework that I'm using?
  • 1. Re: Problems with Navigation
    Bijesh Krishnadas Journeyer
    1) I ran a quick test and don't face this issue. I used the default page template and navigation model. Anything in your logs?

2) Not specifying any of the input parameters for the navigation-menu taskflow picks up the default navigation model. Alternately the following works
            <parameter id="navigationFile"
                       value="#{'/oracle/webcenter/portalapp/navigations/default-navigation-model.xml'}"/>
            <parameter id="startNode" value="#{'/'}"/>
            <parameter id="depth" value="#{2}"/>
            <parameter id="style" value="#{'menu'}"/>
    Or use
    #{applicationScope.preferenceBean.defaultPortalNavigation}
  • 2. Re: Problems with Navigation
    mBaldwin Newbie
    After applying what you said and relocating my navigation region, it began rendering when I use the default navigation model. Though it still is not working with an alternative navigation model. As for problem #1, I do not have any log messages in this situation and it is still occuring. I am also using the default navigation model and default template.

ADDON:
    I just tested problem #1 again and apparently it breaks after I navigate outside of the task flow. Also, though it may not matter, I just noticed that the link for the task-flow does not become bold like the others when I'm inside of it.

Edited by: mBaldwin on Oct 31, 2012 12:30 PM
  • 3. Re: Problems with Navigation
    Bijesh Krishnadas Journeyer
    mBaldwin wrote:
    After applying what you said and relocating my navigation region, it began rendering when I use the default navigation model. Though it still is not working with an alternative navigation model.
    How did you use the alternative nav model? What parameters did you set for the menu taskflow?
    As for problem #1, I do not have any log messages in this situation and it is still occuring. I am also using the default navigation model and default template.

ADDON:
    I just tested problem #1 again and apparently it breaks after I navigate outside of the task flow. Also, though it may not matter, I just noticed that the link for the task-flow does not become bold like the others when I'm inside of it.
    In my case, the menu item is marked as active (i.e. bold) correctly when navigating to the taskflow. Did you change any other settings in the portal application - especially ppr navigation or such?
  • 4. Re: Problems with Navigation
    mBaldwin Newbie
    Sorry for taking so long to reply, got caught up in other tasks.
    The alternate nav model was used by only changing the "navigationFile" parameter to point to my navigation model ( "/oracle/webcenter/portalapp/navigations/second-nav.xml")

For the second, I did not think I changed any other settings in the portal application, but I am now unable to recreate the issue in a new application. This however is due to me getting a NullPointerException when I try to navigate to the taskflow now. Also to be clearer, I am using a bounded taskflow without framents.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points