This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2012 9:08 PM by 688022 RSS

weblogic.Admin "-Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile" not working

688022 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Hi,

I am trying to shutdown a managed server using weblogic.Admin utility and provided boot.properties file but it wont recognize the boot.properties file:

Command:
java -Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile=/opt/Oracle/Middleware/weblogic12c/user_projects/domains/mydomain/servers/myserver/security/boot.properties -Dweblogic.RootDirectory=/opt/Oracle/Middleware/weblogic12c/user_projects/domains/mydomain/servers/myserver weblogic.Admin -adminurl t3://192.168.1.10:7001 FORCESHUTDOWN myserver

Output:
"WebLogic server requires a valid username and password for the command that you are trying to execute. Please try again"

Any clues?
  • 1. Re: weblogic.Admin "-Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile" not working
    Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle Expert
    Hi,

Add the following flag in your Weblogic Server startup scripts
    -Dweblogic.management.username=username
    -Dweblogic.management.password=password
    -Dweblogic.system.StoreBootIdentity=true

The above flag will create a boot.properties file and store the user name and password in it.

If boot.properties is still not created add the following flags in Weblogic startup script to explicitly point to the boot.properties file that you have created :
    -Dweblogic.system.StoreBootIdentity=true
    -Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile=filename

Eg : set JAVA_OPTIONS=-Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile=C:\Oracle\user_domains\mydomain\boot.properties

Note :

Use this technique only if you invoke the java weblogic.Server command from the command line. If you use a script to start an Administration Server, Oracle recommends that you do not use the technique described in this section for the following reasons:
    It requires you to store an unencrypted password in the startup script.

Each time you run the script, the server boots with the supplied user credentials and then creates a new boot identity file.

If you want to remove the boot identity file after a server starts, you can include the following argument in the server's weblogic.Server startup command:

-Dweblogic.system.RemoveBootIdentity=true

This argument removes only the file that the server used to start. For example, if you specify
    -Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile=c:\secure\boot.MyServer

only boot.MyServer is removed, even if the server's root directory contains a file named boot.properties.
    Open a separate command shell and include the -Dweblogic.system.RemoveBootIdentity=true argument in each Managed Server's weblogic.Server startup command to remove its boot identity file.

To specify this argument in the startWebLogic script, add
    -Dweblogic.system.RemoveBootIdentity=true
    as a value of the JAVA_OPTIONS variable. For example:

set JAVA_OPTIONS=-Dweblogic.system.RemoveBootIdentity=true

Regards,
    Kal
  • 2. Re: weblogic.Admin "-Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile" not working
    688022 Newbie
    Kal,
    Thanks for the above information.
    But I think you did not understand my query. I am trying to use the "weblogic.Admin" utility not "weblogic.Server". And my problem is that "weblogic.Admin" is not recognizing the provided boot.properties file via flag "-Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile".

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: weblogic.Admin "-Dweblogic.system.BootIdentityFile" not working
    Kalyan Pasupuleti-Oracle Expert
    Hi,

I know your problem.

Actually it is a bug in WLS as a workaround try to use following parameter-Dweblogic.system.RemoveBootIdentity=true to remove and create new bootidentity file... ever time when it start server

Regards,
    Kal

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points