This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 10:53 AM by SPA2 RSS

Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file

971118 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have installed Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1, and two Oracle VMS servers; all seems to have gone pretty well after some learning curve. After success here, I created Clone of the most recent PeopleTools 8.5.2 and PeopleSoft HCM templates, and was able to start those machines. (Or at least, the Virtual Machine status shows "Running..." - read on.)

However, when I try to launch the console, I get no success. First, when accessing the VMM server over HTTPS (port 7002), Java doesn't even try to start. Instead, basically, I get a screen blink and nothing else when I try to Launch Console from HTTPS. But when using HTTP:myVMM:7001, I get further. The Java logo appears briefly, and then I get "Application Error - Unable to launch the application" dialog. When I click on Details, I see the following under the Exception tab:
JNLParseException[ Could not parse launch file. Error at line 0.]
     at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.decode(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
     at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Looking further into this, the .jnlp that's presented to JAVA by Launch Console is zero bytes in length. What might cause the .jnlp file to be empty?
  • 1. Re: Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    yes, it looks like that we have the same problem the only difference was that I try to start the concole from a Macbook as client system.
    I posted also an problem that a look. On the Mac the VncViewer doesn't start. Okay now to your environment.

First of all check
    - Java Version and javaws
    - Then if the dialog start say : Open File with javaws ovm_repository-ws.jnlp.
    - Check on the OVM Manager site the ovm_repository-ws.jnlp. You can find it under the path: /u01/app/...AdminServer/... and take a look
    if the size is really zero.
    - Please try to start the vncviewer directly from the OVM Manager machine.
    - Check if you had installed the tight-vnc package on the OVM Manager machine.

Please give a feedback while I am also searching for a solution.

kind regards
    SPA2
  • 2. Re: Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file
    971118 Newbie
    Thank you very much for your rapid reply, SPA2! It's encouraging!

You named the file correctly, and there is only one ovm_rasproxy-ws.jnlp on the system. It is at /u01/app/oracle/ovm-manager-3/machine1/base_adf_domain/servers/AdminServer/tmp/_WL_user/ovm_core/tgzc2b/war/ovm_rasproxy-ws.jnlp. It is not empty - has a size of 1028 bytes, and the contents are listed at the bottom of this message.

I don't know how to start the vncviewer directly from the OVM Manager machine. I did install the package (twice, in fact... and the second time stated "package tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch is already installed" There are no executables in the tightvnc-java-1.3.9-3.noarch.rpm package, and I have not found indication of what the URL would be. Can you help with that?

Trying to find the version of Java from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.java.com%2Fen%2Fdownload%2Finstalled.jsp&ei=cFyOUL6OHpHo8QSrn4GIBg&usg=AFQjCNH6zuZGOL1prgUuefMNfg4eSpEOjQ I see "Something is wrong. Java is not working." So I uninstalled and reinstalled Java. Now it is Java 7 Update 9.

Also - to further check this out, I did Save instead of Open from Firefox (IE does not give that option). Firefox saved a 0 byte file. I really appreciate the help.

Contents of ovm_rasproxy-ws.jnlp:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="${Scheme}://${Server}:${ServerPort}/ovm/rasproxy/"
    href="ovm_rasproxy-ws.jnlp?${RequestUri}">
    <information>
    <title>Oracle VM Remote Access Service</title>
    <vendor>Oracle</vendor>
    <homepage>http://support.oracle.com/</homepage>
    </information>
    <resources>
    <!-- Application Resources -->
    <j2se version="1.5+"
    href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" />
    <jar href="ovm_rasproxy-signed.jar" main="true" />
    <jar href="commons-logging-1.1.1.jar" />
    </resources>

<application-desc main-class="com.oracle.ovm.ras.proxy.RasProxyApplet">
    <argument>-server</argument>
    <argument>${Server}</argument>
    <argument>-service</argument>
    <argument>${Serviceid}</argument> <!--dynamic-->
    ${Credentials}
    </application-desc>
    <security>
    <all-permissions/>
    </security>
    <update check="always"/>
    </jnlp>

Edited by: Dennis Lovelady on Oct 29, 2012 3:32 AM

Edited by: Dennis Lovelady on Oct 29, 2012 3:36 AM to answer about installation of tightvnc and about Java version

Edited by: Dennis Lovelady on Oct 29, 2012 4:10 AM
  • 3. Re: Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file
    user12273962 Pro
    Is the VM Guest hung in "starting" mode or is it in "stated" state? Sometimes, if you get a VM hung in "starting" mode... you will not get any console output.

Other than that, I have never seen a zero bit file. Never.

I personally prefer to use Chrome in the VM manager. I think it works better/faster. Firefox will sometimes get hung on a refresh. Chrome will not automatically open the jnlp. You will have to click on the download and open the file.
  • 4. Re: Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file
    971118 Newbie
    Thanks for the reply, user12273962. It is in "running" status. Also, I can see from the network that DHCP has offered an IP address to the guest, but it has not been acknowledged. So I know it's alive.

I tried with IE8 also, and all I can say about that is that I get the same error details. (IE8 does not provide a way (that I can see) for me to view/analyze the .jnlp file.) I only have firefox 15 and IE8 available at present, and prefer to avoid installing yet another browser.

When I return to the system this evening, I will try to connect from one of my linux systems. I tried that before; had some issue now forgotten. But I can get details and attach here.

**EDIT**

I ran on Linux Ubuntu 12.10 and Ubuntu 10, which both agreed with Windows: a 0-byte .jnlp file results from clicking on the "Launch Console" link.

While I would still like to know why I'm getting a zero-byte file, my more immediate question is: What would be the URL that I could use in order to launch the VM Manager's tightvnc console? (I've installed tightvnc on the server for a reason, no?) Isn't there some way for me to use that directly?

Edited by: Dennis Lovelady on Oct 29, 2012 3:56 PM - Added Linux details
  • 5. Re: Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file
    971118 Newbie
    Something must have gone wrong in the install. On a fresh install, this issue did not reappear.
  • 6. Re: Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file
    971118 Newbie
    Probably this was a configuration error during installation.
  • 7. Re: Console does not launch OVM 3.1.1, Win7x32 Firefox15/IE8 - Empty .jnlp file
    SPA2 Newbie
    Hi,
    so is your machine running now?

I have a solution for my problems. i try to install a PVM for OEL 6.3.
    So paravirtualized machine only boot from an ISO Image which was for example mounted on a NFS or HTTP Server.

So please check : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27309/html/vmusg-vm-media.html if your Image is okay.
    Also take a look to http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27300_01/E27309/html/vmusg-vm-create.html.

After this the virtual machine starts and via "launch console" I am able to install the software.
    For my client a Mac Book I need Java 1.7 with Java 1.6 it doesn't work.

If you need more help let me know.

regards
    SPA2

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points